Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Ancestors from Gloucestershire

I am researching my ancestors from Gloucestershire who came to colonial America in the 1600s. The names I'm interested in are John Crandall (1617-1676, Westerleigh or Winterbourne) and William Sims (1646-1726, Winterbourne). I am planning a research trip next summer (I live in Williamsburg, Virginia, USA) and I want to have the best possible information before I visit. I am particularly interested in parish and land records, but any help will be welcome.

This is a reply to all your messages.
    To find sources for your required areas, I would start with GENUKI. It’s a repository of databases, etc, organized per area and type of information. It should also tell you which sources are free, and which will require a subscription or other payment.
    Parish records are generally available on line by subscription with companies such as Find My Past and Ancestry. You can sometimes approach local parishes (see GENUKI) family history societies or local archives.

Remember that many 17th century and earlier records have not survived - damp, fire, illiteracy, and war are not the friends of paper records.

Good luck.