Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default 16th-century ancestors in Bedfordshire

I am researching several of my ancestors who left Bedfordshire to go to colonial Massachusetts in the 1630s. George Lawton of Cranfield (1607-1693), Thomas Lynde of Dunstable (1595-1671), and Gerard Spencer of Edworth(1576-1646). I am planning a research trip next summer (I live in Williamsburg, Virginia, USA) and I want to have as much information as I can get before I come. Specifically, I am looking for parish records or land records that would fill in some of the gaps in the stories of these families. I have information about their ancestors going back several generations, and I would like to be as certain as possible about that information. I appreciate any help you can give me.

Starting to feel at home

Hi Kamcpherson! The Only info I have is on Gerard Spencer, Sr., of Edworth, Beds., England, as I (Vienna Spencer) descend directly from him, 10 generations down. The line from Gerard, Sr. goes back to 1505-documented. Anything before that is pure conjecture as no documents exist to prove any further back. yDNA however confirms our notions of our early origins. The line from Gerard, Sr., goes back to his father Michael, whose own father was "John of Edworth", b.c. 1505,elsewhere, but moved to Edwoth, later. See WikiTree, at: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Spencer-628 ....then click-on Gerard's father's name to bring-up That page of Michael's profile. Same on Michael's page, to get to John of 1505. Hope this helps you. : )

Yet to unearth early info. about your "rellies" in this country but did spot reference to a "Thomas Lynde" in 1637. He is mentioned in Isaac Backus' "History of New England, with particular reference to the denomination of Christians called Baptists; ...", vol 1, published 1777. A searchable version is available via google books - perhaps you have this info. already.

Out of interest, is there a family link to Lynde Street, Boston?

Trust the visit goes well.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Just noticed that there is a reference to a "George Lawton, 1680" in Isaac Backus' tome.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/le...vol1/pp234-256

A "Thomas Lynde or Lyne of Dunstaple (sic)" is mentioned