Smile James Stiles & Family

I have a particular interest in finding anyone that is connected to or a family member of a JAMES STILES who was living in Hastings in 1901. I am particularly interested in seeing a photograph of James, so I can compare it to one I have, that I believe is him.

James was born 26th November 1836 in Kings Walden Hertfordshire, I don't have a date of death, but the last census I have is for 1901 when was living with his second wife and four children at 10 Grand Parade Hastings. He was 64 years old.

James married a Maria Johnson in 1860, who died after childbirth in 1866. Their first child born in 1863, Georgiana Caroline Stiles died in 1950 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

James remarried in 1885 to a Cecilia Muir born 1867, they had four Children:

Arthur Stiles born 1866
    Cecilia Vera Stiles born 1888
    Winifred Stiles born 1889
    Charles W Stiles born 1890

James worked as a servant and ultimately became the butler to Lady Georgiana Grey, fourth daughter to 2nd Earl Grey(of the tea fame)

I have an amazing story to tell about James and would love to confirm that the image I have of him is really him.

If you can help, or know of someone related to James or his children, I'd love to hear from you.

Super Moderator

When do you think James worked for Lady Grey? She died in 1900 and he was retired on the 1901 census. However he does not appear on the 1891 census with Lady Grey.

Super Moderator

Found him in 1881 with Lady Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    When do you think James worked for Lady Grey? She died in 1900 and he was retired on the 1901 census. However he does not appear on the 1891 census with Lady Grey.
    I’m not quite sure Sue, sometime obviously between 1891 and 1901. Not sure how l could find this out.

I meant say also that in 1891 james stiles was living in east molesey just down the road from Hampton Court Palace and was still recorded as butler so could still be working for Lady Grey living at home.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by History Hunter View Post
    I meant say also that in 1891 james stiles was living in east molesey just down the road from Hampton Court Palace and was still recorded as butler so could still be working for Lady Grey living at home.
    Domestic
    I found him with his parents on the 1841 and 1851, then as a Servant with Lady Grey in 1971, then a Butler in 1881. Can't see anything for 1891 next seems to be 1901 with Cecelia.

Either way he was working with Lady Grey from at least 1871. If I can find him on the 1861 census, might be able to see what he was doing at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    Domestic
    I found him with his parents on the 1841 and 1851, then as a Servant with Lady Grey in 1971, then a Butler in 1881. Can't see anything for 1891 next seems to be 1901 with Cecelia.

Either way he was working with Lady Grey from at least 1871. If I can find him on the 1861 census, might be able to see what he was doing at that time.
    Did you not see my second post re1891?

Hi Sue just came across this old thread and thought I’d update what I’ve since found out about James and his wife.

I’ve subsequently found out that the 1861 census for where Lady Grey was living has been lost. But I do know that James Stiles was travelling with Lady Grey in Europe in 1862 because l have her original Passport which names James Stiles as her man-servant.

Only three years after the 1901 census placed James Stiles in Hastings, James Stiles was back in London, where he passed away 17th December 1904 at an address in Hammersmith. James died from Bronchitis aged 68, his brother John Stiles was present at his death. In another tragic turn of events, Cecilia Stiles passed away 30th June 1910 aged just 52. Living at an address in Diss Norfolk, Cecilia died of bowel cancer, her son Arthur was present at her death.

Since I originally posted here, I’ve managed to trace James Stiles living relatives, his great great grand children. Two in South Africa, and one in England. Unfortunately they did appear interested in their family history, and didn’t even comment on what l had discovered.

I’d still be to here from anyone who may have had a family connection with the Stiles, although it appears they weren’t in Hastings that long.