Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

Also -just wondering why you think this particular Thomas Wilson is yours? Can you tell us more of what you know about your Thomas?

1841 Census - taken on 30 March.
    Dublin Evening Mail, 9 April 1841
    "The Queen's Bays leave Piershill, Edinburgh, this week for Sheffield; and the 29th move shortly from the Castle for Glasgow Barracks. The Bays will be replaced by the 4th Dragoon Guards, and the 29th by the 58th Regiment".
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

More useful info. I think I will get a months sub to FMP as they seem to have a lot of new RN records from the National archives. I have quite a few navy personnel in my tree, but I have no experience with army records.

Grisel: I am trying to prove if this Thomas WILSON was the one that married Jane McDONALD between the census and 1845. They had 4 children baptised at St Mary’s RC church in Glasgow,the records stating they are married. Unfortunately the marriage registers have not survived according to the Scottish Catholic archives. Civil registration did not begin in Scotland until 1855….. grrrr
    Jane was living a few streets away from the barracks, in 1841 census
    I have all the info from then on, the family moving to Manchester, before 1852,where my Great Grandfather (also Thomas) was born. Thomas snr died in 1861 a few months after the census, where he states he was born in Kent. I also have a tentative father but no proof.
    Will have a busy weekend!

Caledonian Mercury, 27 Feb 1841
    The first royal dragoons, at present stationed in the cavalry barracks, Glasgow, are to take the route to Leeds in April next, and will be replaced by the 11th Lancers from Ireland.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Thank you for the extra information. I can see that this Thomas is a good candidate for being your Thomas.
    InFMP's index for the 1841 Worldwide Index already suggested there are 2 Thomas Wilsons in 29th foot, probably the same two as on the 1841 census. They have service numbers 640 and 1484. Sorry I can't view the actual record. Neither of these two appear on the 1851 index, so may have left the army by then.
    So it does look like this Thomas was in the 29th Foot. I think if you can find his service record it should give dates and places of attestation and discharge. But whether it is hidden in one of FMP's databases I have no idea! Someone here may have much more knowledge than me.
    The 29th were in Woolwich in 1839, which is in Kent, so perhaps a possible date of enlistment.

That does look promising! I have been trying to get a month sub to FMP but it won’t get past the credit card page. Clicking on « Checkout Securely » it stays put. Will persevere.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...rs-up-to-1913/
    This is useful information from the National Archives. Thomas doesn't seem to have had a pension and there may not necessarily be a service record. The muster lists and payrolls for the 29th are not online - you need to visit Kew. Ref Wo12/4523 for 1837 to 1839
    Wo12/4524 for 1839 to 1841
    Wo12/4525 for 1841 to 1842.

There are probably other records in the National archives which could be relevant!

You could try contacting the Worcestershire Regiment. Their archives do charge £25 for research but perhaps they would answer a general question without charge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12