Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Default Glasgow Barracks 1841

Is there any way to find out which army regiment was stationed in Glasgow Barracks at the time of the 1841 census? I have gone round in circles getting nowhere! Trying to find army records if possible for a Thomas WILSON… common name!

Hi
    Was it the Gallowgate Barrack. Doing a quick search of the 1841 census just using the word Barracks in the keyword box brings up an alphabetical PDF of the 1841 census and under B are listed Barracks Cavalry registration district 646 number 13, Barracks Cheapside reg dist 622 number 25, Barracks Infantry reg dist 644-1 number 83. The same general search led me to someone else's research that said their ancestor was in the 58th regiment of foot and posted to Glasgow in 1840. Whether they were still there in 1841?
    The National Archives has a research guide here which, with a lot of patience searching may help. Have you looked at page number 1 of the enumerators book for your man? Does it just give the Barracks name or has the enumerator been unusually helpful and listed the regiments?
    You could give us the 1841 reference for Thomas Wilson eg: piece, book, folio and page numbers so we can take a look.
    I am floundering here but someone else will probably be more helpful.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thanks for the response.
    1841 census Lanarkshire, District: Glasgow Civil Parish: Glasgow Piece: 644 Enumeration District: 41 House or Street Name: Infantry Barracks

This is the transcript from FreeCen. Thomas WILSON, age 20, Army, born England
    Not much to go on. Not had much look in army records but with such a common name, a regiment would help. A long shot.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi
    Have you looked at page number 1 of the enumerators book for your man? Does it just give the Barracks name or has the enumerator been unusually helpful and listed the regiments?
    You could give us the 1841 reference for Thomas Wilson eg: piece, book, folio and page numbers so we can take a look.
    I am floundering here but someone else will probably be more helpful.
    Christina
    The biggest drawback here is that the images are only available on Scotlands People, and they may not include the enumerator's pages in their images.
    So this experiment will cost you - I think the minimum amount of credits you can purchase is £7.00, so not that expensive.

Try searching the 1841 census on Scotlands People for Thomas Kneebone, aged 48, born England.
    Living in county of Lanarkshire, district of Glasgow, civil parish of Glasgow, piece number 644.
    Hopefully, there's only one person who fits those details, and from the entry on FreeCEN, he should be the first person listed living in the barracks.
    Access the image, and then see if you can see the previous page. For the English and Welsh census on FMP and Ancestry, this is shown by a small arrow pointing to the left, on the left-hand side if the page, halfway down the page. Unless there is an 'image number' at the bottom of the page, you may have to keep swiping left for several pages.
    What I call an 'image number' is where there are a couple of boxes, in the centre, near the bottom of the page. One box will say the number of the image you're looking at, and the next box will say something like 'of 59'. If that option is available, then I'm hoping Thomas Kneebone's image will say something like image 7 of 47. Change the 7 to 1 and click 'go', and then either swipe right to go to page 2, or alter the 1 to 2, and click 'go' Hopefully sooner rather than later you should a description which may just say 'Infantry Barracks', but it may say more. If it is just Infantry Barracks, it would be worth going forward one further page just in case there is more information.

Alternatively you need the books "In search of the "Forlorn Hope" : a comprehensive guide to locating British regiments and their records (1640-WWI)" by John M. Kitzmiller, II. Unfortunately I doubt that you'll find a copy of it locally.
    There are two volumes. IIRC, one lists the years and then the places and then where the regiments are, while the second one lists the regiments and where they were at various times.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

This transcription is available on freecen. I had a look last night but wasn't sure which Thomas Wilson we were looking at as there are two.

The barracks was in St Johns area of Glasgow and I think it is the Gallowgate barracks.

Like Pam I looked at Thomas Kneebone as he was at the top of the page and has a memorable name. He died in India in 1847 as quartermaster of the 29th Foot. I don't subscribe to Find My Past which is good for military records but I couldn't easily spot Thomas Wilson in their index with 29th Foot as a search term.

I don't know if more than one regiment would have been stationed in Glasgow at the same time.

You could try following other soldiers with memorable names (like Thomas Kneebone) to see if you can find further references to them. There are plenty soldiers there! Seems to have been a large barracks.

I'm not sure but I think the National Archives have muster rolls of some regiments, possibly including the 29th Foot.

Edit
    Sorry Pam I just realise that you know the transcription is on freecen and are giving advice on finding the image on Scotland's People! It's still a bit early in the morning for me......

Freecen transcript did say page 1 then listed all the "household", Thomas Kneebone being the first person.
    I checked Scotland's People and found I had 6 credits left from a couple of years ago. The census image gives no more details, except parish is St. John's. Perhaps there was more than one regiment in residence at the time? The two previous header pages state Schedule No 4, Infantry Barracks

Thank you all for your valuable input. I will follow through with some of the suggestions.

Reputation beyond repute

Have you tried the British Army, Worldwide Index 1841? FMP have it available but my sub has expired.

I think Alexander Shamrock (Sharrock) and George Congrave(Congreve)on the 1841 census at Gallowgate barracks were both officers in the 29th Foot Worcestershire regiment. After Glasgow the regiment went to India. The Worcestershire Regiment website (Google it) has a lot of information about the time in India where there was a great loss of life. George Congreve's letters home are very interesting.
    It does seem that if that Thomas Wilson is your Thomas Wilson then it is possible he would have gone out to India with the 29th in 1842.

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

"Forlorn Hope" Have the 1st Royal Dragoons and the 58th Rutlandshire Regiment in Glasgow in 1841. Sadly I haven't found the "Forlorn Hope" that reliable.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by keith9351 View Post
    "Forlorn Hope" Have the 1st Royal Dragoons and the 58th Rutlandshire Regiment in Glasgow in 1841. Sadly I haven't found the "Forlorn Hope" that reliable.

Keith
    I think the 58th Rutlandshire were in Edinburgh castle in 1841.JW Frith in charge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast