Thread: Which Thomas?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Which Thomas?

I know my GFX6 Thomas Ellis married Mary Parton i 1786 Wellington, Shropshire, but theres 5 or 6 candidates! Of course his father ot his age isnt on the cert only the fact that hes a bachelor.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Neil63 View Post
    I know my GFX6 Thomas Ellis married Mary Parton i 1786 Wellington, Shropshire, but theres 5 or 6 candidates! Of course his father ot his age isnt on the cert only the fact that hes a bachelor.

I think he would be at least 21 (age able to marry without parent's consent) so 1765 ish would probably be a good year to start looking.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Is there any pattern to the names given to their children? Very often the first born son was given the paternal grandfather's name while the second was given the maternal gf's name. Using the likely age as well should help reduce the number of candidates. Also look for wills of the main family surname. pwholt

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by pwholt View Post
    Is there any pattern to the names given to their children? Very often the first born son was given the paternal grandfather's name while the second was given the maternal gf's name. Using the likely age as well should help reduce the number of candidates. Also look for wills of the main family surname. pwholt
    Well, Thomas and Marys first born was John and the 2nd Thomas, Marys father was William.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Not sure of the best way to go about checking wills.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

The most likely candidate i think is the Thomas born to John and Susannah in 1766 but he would be 20 when marrief