Thread: Hello Everyone!

Default Hello Everyone!

Hi, My name is Ivan and I live in Chester. I am researching my family and making good progress on my mother's side, though having trouble identifying my unknown father, despite DNA tests! I do have a question. On the 1851 census under 'Where Born', the answer is 'War Brit Sub'. Can anyone tell me what that means?

Thanks

Ivan

Knowledgeable and helpful

Not too sure about the "war" bit, but "brit sub" indicates that the person was born overseas to parents who were british subjects, possibly serving with the forces or in a diplomatic capacity.

If you are willing to provide more details, someone may be able to give you a more complete answer.

Out of curiosity on the 1851 census I just entered Brit sub in the keyword box and I got 660 results with either the full name or abbreviations of the country where the person had been born.. Of these only two started with W. one was Wls and I can't remember the other but certainly no ar after the W. Of course the search results may not be complete so as brentor boy suggests if you give us the details of the person you are looking at we may be able to work out what War means. (just had the thought of maybe Warsaw?) Do you have this person in any other censuses?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the replies and sorry about my slow reply, busy life! The father of the ancestor in question was a Chelsea pensioner, so I think that explains the birth details as she was obviously born abroad where her father was posted. Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply.