Smile Hi everyone, from Brighton!

Hello everyone.

This is the first time i've ever posted on a website like this, and felt like i had to join after researching my family on my late fathers side. I'm Laura, and I live in Brighton! I do Taekwondo and I am a red belt ( Close to black belt!")

My father was David John Ticehurst, and his father was 'Horace' Ticehurst, his father was named William Edward Peake. William was married to Florence 'Scrace', and I was just wondering if anyone had any links to the peake's? Any small information would greatly be treasured.

I remember when i was younger we went to my 'Auntie peg's' who i recall was a friend of my dad's mother 'Florence'

William Edward Peake was a soldier in WW1, and was a Royal Engineer. He died in Aldershot at aged 33

Thanks for reading.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Laura. It sounds as though you’ve made a good start.
    Have a look around our collection of forums, find out what’s where and, when you are ready, select somewhere suitable and tell us about the next phase.

Hi Laura and welcome to Brit-Gen forums

My father was David John Ticehurst, and his father was 'Horace' Ticehurst, his father was named William Edward Peake. William was married to Florence 'Scrace', and I was just wondering if anyone had any links to the peake's? Any small information would greatly be treasured.
    Horace William Ticehurst birth date 28 Dec 1913 is on the 1939 register with Herbert William Ticehurst birth date 31 Dec 1887 and Frances Ticehurst birth date 26 Dec 1891, presumably his parents. There are three redacted entries which are presumably Horace's brothers R and E.
    Frances Kennard married Herbert William Ticehurst in 1911, Bristol registration district and their sons' birth registrations all have the mother's maiden name of Kennard.

So William Edward Peake is actually Florence's father who married a Florence Wood in 1913 and their daughter Florence E, was your grandmother born in 1915. Got it now

I did all of this just because I could and to put off facing the domestic tyranny! Once these posts are active they can bring in responses not always immediately but way down the track.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Laura,

To get you on the right track:

Horace William Ticehurst married Florence Elizabeth Peake, September quarter 1941
    Horace date of birth 28 November 1913; death registration died December 1999.
    Florence Elizabeth, date of birth 31 August 1915, death registration September 1994.

Horace William in 1939 Register, living in Brighton, with
    Herbert W Ticehurst, born 1887
    Frances (transcibed on Findmypast as Francei), 1891
    redacted entry for Eric George, birth year was 1922 but given as 1921 on his death registration which is why the entry is still redacted
    Reginald, 1928.

Birth registrations:
    Horace William, March quarter 1914
    Eric George, September quarter 1922
    Reginald, June quarter 1928
    All with mother's maiden name of Kennard.

Marriage registration Herbert William Ticehurst and Frances Kennard, September quarter 1911.

Birth registration of Herbert William Ticehurst, March quarter 1888, Elham registration district, mother's maiden name Hayward.

. . . . . . . .

Florence Elizabeth Peake (who married Horace Ticehurst), birth registered September quarter 1915, mother's maiden name Wood.
    She had an elder brother, William Henry George, born 14 September 1913.

Florence's parents were William Edward Peake, and Florence Wood, who married June quarter 1913.
    William's age at death in 1916 was given as 32, which would fit his age of 31 years and 11 months when he enlisted in June 1916.

I can't easily find William Edward Peake in the 1911 census, and as Wood is a common surname, you really need the marriage certificate of William and Florence to hopefully find the names and occupations of their fathers.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp
    Find quarter, district, volume and page numbers, etc at
    https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Florence Peake born 1915, in the 1939 Register is living in Brighton with
    Ernest F Scrasesic born 1886
    Florence Scrase, (nee Wood, then Peake), 1892
    Beatrice P Scrase, 1920.

Beatrice's birth registration as Beatrice P Scrace, June quarter 1920.

Marriage registration Ernest F Scrace and Florence Peake, December quarter 1918.

ADDED: I presume you've seen William Edward Peake's army service file on Ancestry?

Pam
    who just knew Christina would type a lot quicker
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi Laura and welcome to Brit-Gen forums
    Horace William Ticehurst birth date 28 Dec 1913 is on the 1939 register with Herbert William Ticehurst birth date 31 Dec 1887 and Frances Ticehurst birth date 26 Dec 1891, presumably his parents. There are three redacted entries which are presumably Horace's brothers R and E.
    Frances Kennard married Herbert William Ticehurst in 1911, Bristol registration district and their sons' birth registrations all have the mother's maiden name of Kennard.
    Christina
    Need to get your eyes checked, Chris.
    Registration district is Brighton, not Bristol.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Need to et your eyes checked, Chris.
    Registration district is Brighton, not Bristol.
    I will have to type slower and it isn't my eyes that are the problem but my brain!!

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Oh I'm SO grateful and amazed by the fast response! I really did not expect much!
    and yes, I have found William's army records on Ancestry

Thank you to ALL for the responses and correct information! I'm so grateful!

Lovely to know there's such wonderful people here helping eachother out!

A bit more about the Peakes while I have the pages open.

Ideally you need to purchase William Edward's marriage certificate which will hopefully confirm his father's name, but these entries seem to fit.

1901 census
    Living in Brighton. Census reference RG14/922 folio 13 page 17
    Martha Peake, widow, 53, born London Shoreditch
    George, son, 19, Oxford
    William, son, 17, Manchester

1891 census
    Living in Brighton. Census reference RG12/805 folio 79 page 18.
    Walter Peake, head, 48, Oxford
    Martha, 45, Shoreditch
    Walter, son, 11, City of London
    William, son, 7, Manchester

No George. May have been omitted in error by the enumerator. May be living elsewhere; I have not made a detailed search for him.

1881 census
    Living in Bermondsey. Census reference RG11/574 folio 4 page 4
    Walter Peake, head,38, born Oxford St Magdalen
    Martha, 33, Middlesex Shoredith
    Walter, son, 1, Middlesex St Luke's

Birth registrations, all with mother's maiden name of Southwell
    Walter Southwell Peake, December quarter 1879, Holborn registration district.
    George Henry Peake, September quarter 1881, Headington registration district.
    William Edward Peake, September quarter 1883, Prestwich registration district.

Marriage registration Walter Peake and Martha Southwell, September quarter 1878, London City registration district. Sadly, doesn't seem to be available on Ancestry's London marriages.

1901 census. Living in Census reference
    Walter Peake (the son), aged 21, with wife Alice. Living in Brighton. Census reference RG13/ folio page

1911 census, all living Brighton
    Martha, aged 63. Reference RG14/5091 SN335
    Walter (the son), aged 31, with wife and family. Reference RG14/5107 SN36
    George, aged 30, with wife and family. Reference RG14/5122 SN181

Can't find William in 1911.

Death registrations(all Brighton registration district):
    Walter Peake (senior), aged 48, September quarter 1893.
    Martha, aged 82, December quarter 1928.
    George Henry, aged 32, March quarter 1913

Walter Southwell Peake died 27 May 1915. Buried in Steenwerck communal cemetery, France.
    See cwgc.org

Means Martha lost her three sons within three years.

Pam