Thread: Hello every one

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hello every one

Hi
    My name is Mark, I have been doing family history for a couple of years, I have been trying to track my grandfather's history, on my mother's side, I am very interested in his military record. I know he served in the Royal Artillery 1934 then transferred to the Royal Army Ordnance Corp, Service Number 829342 Charles F W Cooper, he was killed in 1944 motorbike accident in Kent

Reputation beyond repute

Have you obtained his service record?

The register of attestations available on FMP suggests something a little different from what you described. It looks to me as if he was in the Territorial Army and then enlisted in the regular army in 1934.

To aid any searchers: source CWGC. Charles Frederick William Cooper, Sgt, 829342, Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, d. 15 May 1944 age 27. Buried Birmingham (Whitton) Cemetery section 56, grave 10442.
    Son of Herbert & Minnie Cooper; husband of Kathleen Cooper of Vauxhall, Birmingham.

To obtain his service records, since he died after 1921, you must but a copy from the MOD. You will need a copy of his death certificate and 30 pounds.
    There's more information HERE. Note the text in red about delays.

First, a very warm welcome to Britgen.

The inquest into his death was reported at length in the Thanet Advertiser, 19 May 1944 and refers to "... R.E.M.E, stationed at Westgate ...."
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you all for the useful information,