Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Tracking a WWI Soldier

Hello everyone!

A few months ago I asked for help tracking down the burial site of one of my ancestors who served in World War I, William Cordell. With some help and some perseverance, I managed to find it. However, I'm still on the hunt (as I'm sure you all appreciate) for more of the story.

I'd like to try to create a rough idea of where William was (both geographically and in terms of battles) during the war. Ideally, I suppose I'd like to be able to create a rough timeline. I don't know how possible that is, but my father's very interested in it and I'd like to do what I can for him. I have both William's medal roll and pension card. On his pension card, it lists "5 Essex," "9th London," and "5 Lon" as his regiments (at least, that's what I'm assuming). Is it common for soldiers to belong to so many regiments? I'm guessing that these regiments would be my door to figuring out what William's movements might have been. On his medal card, however, it just lists "9 London R." If it helps at all, William was born in Harlow, Essex in 1894. I believe that his regimental numbers were 6636 and 392916. I'm more than happy to share photos of the documents I have if that's allowed.

Has anybody else tried to figure out the movements of your soldier during the war? If so, how did you go about it? Any advice or direct help would be massively appreciated!

Thank you so much for all of your help! I really, really appreciate it!

We have to be careful about sharing documents because of copyright.

The Long Long Trail site has some information on the London Regiment Here

It was usual for a soldier to be given another number when they were moved to whichever regiment needed them the most. It was only after WW1 that a persons service number remained the same throughout their career.
    This is The National Archives research guide to WW1 and possible war diaries
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

UK, World War I Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920
    William Cordell
    Military Year: 1914-1920
    Rank - Rifleman
    Unit - 9th (County of London) Battalion (Queen Victoria's Rifles)
    Regiment or Corps - London Regiment
    Regiment Number - 392916
    Medal Awarded - British War Medal and Victory Medal

On the original image for the above record both service numbers are linked to the 9th London regiment.
    Under the heading of Theatres of War in Which Served are the following dates.
    6635 form 31 August 1916 to 12 October 1916
    392916 28 March 1917 to 16 March 1918.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

If you have access to Ancestry then the link to war diary is here: https://www.
    ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/60779/images/43112_2963_1-00032?usePUB=true&pId=548678

(I've hopefully broken the 'live' link as its not allowed, but if not I'm sure someone will be along to put it right for me!)

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Jomot1,
    Live link 'breakage' corrected.
    You put the break after the dot which follows https:// and/or www

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

One less-known source of a bit of info is associated with the CWGC burial or memorial. There is usually a cemetery information page where it tells you how to find the place and also,often, information about the majority groups who are buried there and what was happening during their last days. Something like “a group from Zz Btn That Regiment were on This ridge when…”. It doesn’t always help, and it’s less use for the RAF (although it may name a raid) or RN, but always worth a look.

Having gone back to your original post HERE, I see that none of this will help you, but I'll leave it for possible others. Your other thread is now closed to prevent duplication.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by katwalker View Post
    Hello everyone!

A few months ago I asked for help tracking down the burial site of one of my ancestors who served in World War I, William Cordell. With some help and some perseverance, I managed to find it. However, I'm still on the hunt (as I'm sure you all appreciate) for more of the story.

I'd like to try to create a rough idea of where William was (both geographically and in terms of battles) during the war. Ideally, I suppose I'd like to be able to create a rough timeline. I don't know how possible that is, but my father's very interested in it and I'd like to do what I can for him. I have both William's medal roll and pension card. On his pension card, it lists "5 Essex," "9th London," and "5 Lon" as his regiments (at least, that's what I'm assuming). Is it common for soldiers to belong to so many regiments? I'm guessing that these regiments would be my door to figuring out what William's movements might have been. On his medal card, however, it just lists "9 London R." If it helps at all, William was born in Harlow, Essex in 1894. I believe that his regimental numbers were 6636 and 392916. I'm more than happy to share photos of the documents I have if that's allowed.

Has anybody else tried to figure out the movements of your soldier during the war? If so, how did you go about it? Any advice or direct help would be massively appreciated!

Thank you so much for all of your help! I really, really appreciate it!
    Have you seen the UK Register of Soldier's Effects for William? He was discharged on the 11 Jul 1919

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    Have you seen the UK Register of Soldier's Effects for William? He was discharged on the 11 Jul 1919
    I haven't! Is there a specific place I go to try to access that?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for all your help so far! You guys have managed to extract a lot more information from different sources than I could've on my own. It's a learning process

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by katwalker View Post
    I haven't! Is there a specific place I go to try to access that?

I found it on Ancestry, along with all the info. you already have. Just searched for William Cordell in the Military section.

Let us know if you can't find it.