Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Default CARTER Brickwall

William Marchant CARTER baptised 1812 Brighton to William CARTER & Mary MARCHANT who married at Brighton in 1811.
    William Junior marries in Bloomsbury in London in 1839 and states his Father as a Shoemaker.

I have not had anything to go on for William Senior until now.

We have a DNA match to a descendant of Kezia Marchant CARTER baptised the 4th August 1816 at St Pancras. The baptism is virtually illegible. Pallot says she is the daughter of William & Mary. Findmypast states she is the daughter of Edward & Mary. I think it is Edward & Mary and the Father is a Tailor the abode ?. I would welcome other peoples opinions. It is entry 402 on image 180 of 397 on Ancestry. I can't find the BTs online for a comparison.

Kezia marries in Nuthurst Sussex in 1843. Freereg has her Father as William CARTER a Tailor.

So My William is the son of William a Shoemaker(in 1839). Kezia is the daughter of Edward or William a Tailor(1816) or William a Tailor(1843).

Do people think my William & Kezia are siblings and the Fathers occupation is simply wrong on the 1839 marriage. Or are they cousins and the use of Marchant as a middle name for Kezia is pure coincidence?

Thoughts and apologies for the length! Thanks

Mitch

I see what you mean about the image, for those without Ancestry its the 2nd from the top on the right hand page, here: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...475&cat=135902

I don't see William at all. Edward maybe, although when I first looked I thought it started with a J!

Occupation does look like Taylor though.

I guess you've seen that Pallot also has a Mary Marchant Carter baptised St Pancras 1 October 1815, daughter of William & Mary

the abode on the Kezia one looks something like Bell Bridge ?

Comparing it with Richard Carter at St Pancras, 26th December 1813.

I do think father's name is William, occ. taylor [sic], add. Battle Bridge.

The first letter of father's name on both records looks the same to me.
    Alma

FamilySearch has the image of Kezia's marriage, giving father as William, a tailor. a witness is Elizabeth Carter.

I notice that when William Marchant Carter married, his wife's father's occupation is tailor, I wonder if the parish clerk got the occupations of the respective fathers the wrong way round.

Reputation beyond repute

Bell Bridge
    Battle Bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    I guess you've seen that Pallot also has a Mary Marchant Carter baptised St Pancras 1 October 1815, daughter of William & Mary

the abode on the Kezia one looks something like Bell Bridge ?
    No I hadn't seen Mary - thanks for that - her Father is also listed as a Taylor. The residence of 'Battle Bridge' matches that for a baptism of a Richard CARTER on the 26 Dec 1813 at St Pancras.

I notice that when William Marchant Carter married, his wife's father's occupation is tailor, I wonder if the parish clerk got the occupations of the respective fathers the wrong way round.
    Now that is VERY interesting and not something I had noticed. I am now hunting London for a Thomas WARD Shoemaker rather than Tailor on the 1841 census though there is a suitable Thomas WARD Tailor at Holborn !! Yep there is one a 60 year old Cordwainer at Wellesley Street St Pancras - so nothing provable there.

Think I will just have to go on the fact that there are 3 baptisms with the middle name Marchant who are likely to be siblings, just one(mine) thought his Father was a shoemaker when he was actually probably a tailor!

I wouldn't say it was a case of William junior thinking that his father was a shoemaker - he didn't fill out that part of the document - and then he didn't notice that the clerk had got it wrong. Thats my theory anyway.

FamilySearch has the image of Kezia's marriage, giving father as William, a tailor. a witness is Elizabeth Carter.
    It looks like William the tailor baptised several children on 10 Aug 1827, including an Elizabeth:
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...475&cat=135902

When Eliza (b1818) married William Limbery Grosvenor in 1852, Mary Ann Carter was a witness. Eliza was 34, William was 74 !!!!

EDITED for error re witness - it was Mary Ann, not Elizabeth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast