Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Looking for my grandfathers family

Good morning
    I have been looking to trace my grandparents on my fathers side for a long time and i eventually found them.

I am now looking for my grandfather’s side.
    all I know so far is my grandfather jack bowman was married before he met my grandma, his first wife died in 1924 and then
    he met my grandmother in Leeds uk a year or two later.
    He had three children with his first wife I know the girl she was my mums half sister auntie jennie but he had two boys as well who had two children that I am trying to find.

Jack was 20 years older then my grandma Rachel bowman.
    Jacks son was called Albert bowman he died in 1965
    Second son was called Benjamin bowman he died in October 1985.

If anyone can help me please let me know
    My email address is briwn4234197 {at} yahoo.com
    Thank you
    Jan
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 12-11-2021 at 11:21 AM. Reason: email address deactivate as per our anti-spam measures in T&C

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Jan. You'll find that we are a helpful, friendly group.
    Perhaps you could clarify a couple of things? Do you know when Rachel was born? And since it's not such a rare name, do you know wife 1's name? It will help confirm the boys identities.

I edited your message - we don't allow active email addresses on-forum as it attracts spammers. We have a private messaging (PM) service which people find convenient.

Brick wall demolition expert!

In Qtr 4 1926 Jack Bowman and Rachel Salinsky married in Leeds (Vol 9b Page844)

PROBATE
    Albert Bowman of 24 Moorland Grove Leeds died 21 June 1965 at Chapel Allerton Hospital Leeds. Administration London 17 September to Rae Bowman widow.

Albert Bowman died 1965 Qtr 2 Leeds Vol 2C Page 203 – born 1911.

There were two Albert Bowman born in 1911 – 1 in Stoke on Trent and one in Mutford, Suffolk. The first has no mother’s maiden name listed against it whilst the second it is Woolley. However, there is an Abraham Bowman born 1910 Qtr 4 Leeds Vol 9B Page 255 – mother Greenberg – see Benjamin below.

PROBATE
    Benjamin Bowman otherwise Ben of 7 Talbot Rise Leeds died 2 October 1985. Probate Leeds.
    Ben Bowman death registered 1985 at Leeds Vol 5 Page 65 born 11 July 1913. Birth Registration Benjamin Bowman Leeds Vol 9 B Page 520 Qtr 3 Mother Greenberg.

Jacob Bowman married Florence Leah Greenberg 1909 Leeds Qtr 1 vol 9B Page 964.

My conclusion from this is that Jack was Jacob and Albert was Abraham.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Jan,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Firstly, some extra details which will probably be helpful for people wanting to help you. From his first marriage, Jack had three children - Albert, Benjamin, and Jennie.
    Albert was born 1911, and died 21 June 1965.Wife's name Rae.
    Albert's birth registration was in the name of Abraham, December quarter 1910.
    Benjamin, also known as Ben, was born 11 July 1913, and died 2 October 1985. .
    Jennie's birth was registered March quarter 1917.
    All three children had mother's maiden name of Greenberg.

There was actually a fourth child, Leslie, birth registered September quarter 1915, whose death was registered in the same quarter.
    Marriage registration, Jacob Bowman and Florence Leah Greenberg,March quarter 1909.

1911 census, Leah and baby Abraham are living in Leeds with Leah's mother and siblings. Census reference RG14/26947 SN180.
    Florence's death registered as Leah Bowman, aged 35, March quarter 1924.

Albert married Rae, though I can't easily find a marriage for them. They're together in Leeds in the 1939 Register. No children with them.

Benjamin possibly married Mona Sherman in 1940, and if so, they had a child in 1953.
    Mona died in 2017, aged 99.

Megan has added a couple of details I haven't, but I'm confirming most of her findings.
    All BMD registrations listed were in Leeds registration district.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi thank you, sorry about that, I didn’t know.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Megan
    Thank you for that information.
    Yes that’s definitely my grandma snd her husband,so in 1926 they married and yes Jack could be Jacob as I know name changes happened.
    Hopefully more information will come up.
    Thank you
    Jan

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Pam thank you got all that information so much that I didn’t know,I didn’t know there was a fourth child, I was very young when most of these people died.I do remember my auntie Jenny though. But I was five when Albert was born.
    I wonder how to find out what grandad his first wife died of?
    So Benjamin had a child in 1953 that would be who I would like to try and find if possible.do you know how I would find out?
    Thank you so very much Pam

Regards
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by jan87877A View Post
    I wonder how to find out what grandad his first wife died of?

Regards
    Jan
    You would need to purchase her death certificate:
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

You can order on line and the cheapest version is a pdf which will delivered electronically.

1939 Register
    Jack Bowman born 27 Aug 1887 working as a tailor’s presser – the transcription says Jade!!!
    Rachel Bowman born 3 Jan 1902
    Benjamin Bowman born ? July 1913 Commercial Traveller
    Plus two “closed” records – these are for anyone who is not known to have died and is less than 100 years old.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast