Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Godfrey family from Pimlico

I am researching a Mary Ann Emma Godfrey who was born about 1840-1841, likely in Pimlico as when she married in Australia in 1859 her father was described in newspaper as "John Godfrey of Coogee [Sydney suburb] late of Pimlico, London". Have checked freebdm and Vol 2 Page 226 has a Mary Ann born in W.London, which might be her. Could anyone check her parents names in that bdm please. Confusion reigns, because when she died in 1911 the NSW BDM records states her father was Frederick Mother Ann. I am not sure when they might have moved to Australia, maybe as unassisted if living in Pimlico. Would appreciate help.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by JandL View Post
    I am researching a Mary Ann Emma Godfrey who was born about 1840-1841, ion in Pimlico as when she married in Australia in 1859 her father was described in newspaper as "John Godfrey of Coogee [Sydney suburb] late of Pimlico, London". Have checked freebdm
    Do you mean FreeBMD?
    https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
    Asking for clarification, because I know there are sites with similar URLs.
    and Vol 2 Page 226 has a Mary Ann born in W.London, which might be her.
    If you did mean FreeBMD, then if you click the name of the registration district it will give you a link telling you more about the district. In this case
    https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/distric...%20london.html
    It gets slightly complicated because 'West London' refers to the west side of the City Of London, which nowadays consists mostly of 'The Square Mile'. Over the years London expanded westwards (as well as north, south, and east!) so what was once west London is now more east London.
    Could anyone check her parents names in that bdm please.
    Parents' names are only given on the birth certificates, not in any birth indexes.
    Several years ago the GRO published updated indexes which means that for births between JUly 1837 and 1911 you can now find the maiden name of the mother. (A blank where the name should be usually means the child was illegitimate.) That index can be found at
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp
    and you can also order black-and-white PDF copies of the birth certificate for considerably less than a fancy-coloured one.
    Confusion reigns, because when she died in 1911 the NSW BDM records states her father was Frederick Mother Ann. I am not sure when they might have moved to Australia, maybe as unassisted if living in Pimlico. Would appreciate help.
    Although this refers specifically to 1851
    https://www.familysearch.org/mapp/
    it will still give you a fairly solid grounding into where all the various parishes where.
    Search for Pimlico, then zoom in.
    If you click on the parish name to the left of the map box, you get further information, including that Pimlico (in 1851) was in St George Hanover Square registration district.
    https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/distric...%20square.html
    Names of the districts changed over the years, as did the parishes within them, so you do need to read the small print at the top of the pages.

You also need to note that a civil parish (local government) is not the same as an ecclesiastical parish (church 'government').

Ancestry have baptisms of two Mary Ann Godfreys in 1840, with father's name John. One in Lambeth, one in Kennington. If you look st the FamilySearch map, both parishes are just across the river Thames from PImlico, though slightly north. One John was a sawyer, the other a butcher.

Prior to 1874, not all births were registered.

Hardly helpful, but gives you some background.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful

Ancestry has a baptism in 1853 for a Mary Anne Emma Godfrey at St Barnabus Church, Pimlico.

Westminster, London, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1919

Baptism on Easter Day, March 27th 1853.
    Birth November 7th 1839.
    Parents Frederick Godfrey, a labourer and Anne.
    Address – 15 Queen? Street.

Peter

Thank you very much Peter and Pam. I will digest this information, although on quick look, I may be still wondering. (Sorry about the typo Pam, yes FreeBDM).

Knowledgeable and helpful

Also Frederic Robert son of Frederic Robert Godfrey, labourer and Ann, at St Barnabus.

Baptism on Quinquagesima, February 6th 1853.
    Birth December 31st 1845.
    Address 15 Queen Street

Peter

Yes, thanks to your suggestions I have concluded Frederick Robert Godfrey is Mary's father, Ann her mum. FR spent his latter years in jail for drink and larceny affrays. Ann buried in Rookwood cemetery, not sure about Fred. I think Ann and Fred came to South Aust in 1853 with Mary AE and Frederick R Jnr. So think the issue is solved. Not sure where the newspaper got "John of Coogee" from.

(Unfortunately my Ancestry sub is only for Australia, so I cannot look at any original docs for dates etc in UK)

Quote Originally Posted by JandL View Post
    (Unfortunately my Ancestry sub is only for Australia, so I cannot look at any original docs for dates etc in UK)
    The trick is to (a) look out for 'free' offers (Ancestry have just had one for military records), and/or (b) save up all the items you need to look up and then when you've got a nice pile take out a month's sub for either just UK or worldwide.

Although, silly me, suddenly relocating her brain cell - if your local library offers free access to Ancestry I think that would cover the UK records that you want in this instance.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Ancestry has a baptism in 1853 for a Mary Anne Emma Godfrey at St Barnabus Church, Pimlico.

Westminster, London, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1919

Baptism on Easter Day, March 27th 1853.
    Birth November 7th 1839.
    Parents Frederick Godfrey, a labourer and Anne.
    Address – 15 Queen? Street.

Peter
    Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Also Frederic Robert son of Frederic Robert Godfrey, labourer and Ann, at St Barnabus.

Baptism on Quinquagesima, February 6th 1853.
    Birth December 31st 1845.
    Address 15 Queen Street

Peter
    Peter emphasising the importance of extending your search, and also giving me a reminder that Ancestry now have the Westminster parish registers as well as the main London ones.

Pam

This looks like the family - in spite of Head of Household's given name
    1851 Census - ref HO107 1477 371 12
    Edward Godfrey, Head, age 31, Labourer, born Bath, Somerset
    Anne Godfrey, Wife, age 30, Straw Bonnet Maker, born High Wycomb(e)
    Frederick Godfrey, Son, age 5, Day Scolar, born Pimlico
    Anne Godgfey, Dau, age 11? (transcibed as 4 on Anc), Scholar, born High Wycomb(e)

Address - 18 Queen Street
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast