Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default massively stuck help please

hi all

I have got a brick wall that I just cant break through(6months+) so maybe some fresh eyes might be able to help im after jos/josh/joseph wilkinson the first census i found was 1851 with wife matilda and kids where it said he was born abt 1816 in satton derbyshire with the name jos i then found them on the 1841 census born abt 1820 in staffordshire with the name josh i have he died abt 1855 on the family trees on ancestry they have him down as joseph but no parents and all satton derbyshire but ive searched for satton and there isnt a place called that i dont have a marriage for him and matilda farmer also she was born 1819 in bedworth Warwickshire they was living in tipton or sedgley any help will be greatly appreciated

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by wilko01 View Post
    hi all

I have got a brick wall that I just cant break through(6months+) so maybe some fresh eyes might be able to help im after jos/josh/joseph wilkinson the first census i found was 1851 with wife matilda and kids where it said he was born abt 1816 in satton derbyshire with the name jos i then found them on the 1841 census born abt 1820 in staffordshire with the name josh i have he died abt 1855 on the family trees on ancestry they have him down as joseph but no parents and all satton derbyshire but ive searched for satton and there isnt a place called that i dont have a marriage for him and matilda farmer also she was born 1819 in bedworth Warwickshire they was living in tipton or sedgley any help will be greatly appreciated
    Definitely Derbyshire but on the actual census is does not look like Satton, Could be Seddon, but I don't think so. Also, Wilkinson looks like Wilkenson.

In 1861 Matilda Wilkinson is living in Old Meeting Lane, Coseley, along with her sons Jabes and Thomas and daughters Ellen and Matilda. She is a widow.

Trying to find the maiden name of Matilda - every child's birth reg I find seems to be in Basford (borders Notts and Derbyshire). Although the census states Tipton and Sedgley, Stffordshire. The only birth reg for Joseph Wilkinson seems to be Basford too. Perhaps someone else on the forum can find something different.

Super Moderator

Now I have found them. Registered in Dudley. MMN Farmer so now to look for a marriage. Not having much luck though, do you think they may not have married?

Brick wall demolition expert!

I think that JOSEPH Wilkinson died in 1853 aged 37 - death registered in the Dudley Registration district.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Jabez Wilkinson son of Joseph and Matilda baptised 18 Oct 1840 at St. Martin's, Tipton, Staffordshire. Jabez married 1866 Caroline Davies at Onecote, Staffordshire. Birth registered in the Dudley Union district – Mother’s maiden name Farmer.

Sarah Wilkinson born about 1838 married 31 Oct 1859 at St. Martin's, Tipton John Stanway.

Matilda Wilkinson nee Farmer married William Webb 29 Oct 1866 at Ettingshall, Staffordshire and her father was Thomas Farmer.

Matilda Webb died 1908 aged 89 – see Dudley Registration district.

Famous for offering help & advice

I think she remarried in 1866

Matilda Wilkinson - widow
    (Matilda Farmer)
    Birth Date: abt 1820
    Bilston
    29 Oct 1866
    Ettingshall, Holy Trinity, Staffordshire, England
    ********Father: Thomas Farmer *****
    Spouse: William Webb

Famous for offering help & advice

From FreeReg

29 May 1837, All Saints, Sedgley
    Joseph Wilkinson, Bachelor, Sedgley
    Matilda Farmer, Spinster, Sedgley
    Wits: Edward & Rebecca Millington

Unfortunately this was just before civil registration, so no father's details

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    I think that JOSEPH Wilkinson died in 1853 aged 37 - death registered in the Dudley Registration district.
    From Free reg.
    Burial Joseph Wilkinson, age 37. 23 March 1853. Christ Church, Cosely. Residence Ivyhouse Lane.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

@suemalings first of thank you for taking the time to look it def says derbyshire on the census but like you i couldnt make out the second part and i also wondered if they where actually married thomas was def born tipton i got his birth cert

@megan roberts first of thank you for taking the time to look i have got his death on ancestry as the same you put i just thought it was 1855 sorry dont mention sarah and john stanway lol thomas sarahs brother died early also and a few years later his wife nancy died and there son thomas was living with sarah and john took me ages to find him lol i have all the kids and matildas family its just joseph is hiding from me the wilkinsons are a pain lol

@pamalawagster first of thank you for taking the time to look yes she remarried to william

@jomot1 first of thank you for taking the time to look you star thank you at least i no they where actually married now wonder who edward and rebecca was thank you so much