Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default New to forum Interested in MTC

Hi All,

I'm writing a book which includes the story of my great aunt, Vida Gray (maiden name Johnston), who was in the Mechanised Transport Corp in Aberdeen, driving for the Norwegian Navy in WW2. Apparently she got a medal from King Haaken for her work. I'd love to find out what medal she received, and actually anything about her war work, and the work of the MTC.

Any help would be appreciated!

Lynn Davidson

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Lynn
    If you came to us from Forces War Records this link will explain the connection.
    I am sure you have already got a basic idea of the MTC from Wikipedia and here is The National Archives links to what they hold, some donated personal diaries,
    Because it was a voluntary organisation, with its headquarters/training seemingly in Manchester there are probably no service records to be had from the MoD. Any medals awarded to service men and women in WW11 as in other wars are printed in the London Gazette so it may be worth a look there although it won't say why the medals were awarded.

Here is The National Archives guide to civilian medals and awards
    Others will be along and most likely know more than me about this.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Christina,
    Thanks so much for this. I really appreciate the help.

Lynn

There are several newspaper articles re Vida Gray that can be viewed at British Newspaper Archive (BNA) or FindMyPast (FMP) - both subscription sites. The articles that refer to her court appearance in July 1951 mention her wearing the medal in court but it is not named. There is reference to her being the official driver to King Haakon and Prince Olaf. However, the paper printed a correction 2 days later after Mrs Gray had advised them that, on occasion, she had the honour to drive Prince Olaf. She was not the official driver to the Norwegian Royal family.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks so much for taking the time to look for this material. I do have this information, but I want to find out more about her life during her time working for the MTC.

thanks again,
    Lynn

Perhaps it would be a good idea to give potential helpers an idea of what you already know?

Quote Originally Posted by LynnAD View Post
    Thanks so much for taking the time to look for this material. I do have this information, but I want to find out more about her life during her time working for the MTC.

thanks again,
    Lynn
    I suspected you already had this. Hence I didn't attempt to elaborate.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Perhaps it would be a good idea to give potential helpers an idea of what you already know?
    I have the papers past info about court appearances and her wearing her medal in court. As I said in my introduction, I know she drove for the Norwegian Navy who were stationed in Scotland during Norway's occupation in WWII. My great aunt was from Aberdeen and drove in the Mechanised Transport Corp. I just don't know how to find out more about her war work.

Lynn