Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Yes, that was what made me ask for more detail on the badges… Could it be an obscure trade?

A fountain of knowledge

I've never seen anything other than the standard ASC collar badges on both sides, so this may just be something personal for the photo.
    I'd want to see a better scan of the cap badge though just to rule out any other regiment than the ASC.

The photo is with my father in a different town. I have asked my sister to send me a better photo of the cap and collar. I will send it on as soon as I have it. Thanks again. I really appreciate your help.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    For what its worth, I'm reading the address as [?]gate? Road, Nr Brompton Square
    Agreed. Weston. Is it Southgate Road? Brompton Square.

Take care, Sylvia - I'm not sure this is an address for "Jim".
    It could be a list of addresses (perhaps someone was looking for lodgings?) written on the back of a photo for easy carrying?

Paper was in short supply in those years - we didn't have copious notebooks and certainly used both sides.
    The writing may have nothing to do with the photo.
    And we wrote in pencil!

Jane

Default Better photo

Hi. This is the best photo I was able to take. It does show that the lapel pin is a C on a bar with a 2 under it. I didn’t see that in the first photo. The cap badge is still hard to see.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/akvZZPAJdXutVFZU6

Thank you, they are both clearer. I have to admit that I have never seen anything like either of them before!

I’m now wondering whether it’s a UK uniform!

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Could be Canadian Army Division Cap Badge.
    Keith

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

The lapel badge could be Canadian 2nd Infantry Battalion. This link shows a badge for the 25th, same design.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/ca...ce/cef_e25.htm

Keith

Well done, Keith, that's the closest I've seen!

Sylvia, remember that he does not have to be a close relative. A photo of a Black Watch soldier in my Gran's papers started all sorts of theories about boyfriends for her daughters, but eventually we found out that he was actually the son of one of her neighbour/friends.

Starting to feel at home

Concerning uploads of photos etc.

A little more complicated than other genealogy websites - where it is possible to browse one's desktop computer and attach the file directly.

I use as many PDF files as images (JPG, PNG, etc) - can those be uploaded to British Genealogy in the same manner?

What is more complicated, but allows more personal control I suppose, is (for a Windows user) to have a "public to all" folder on the free OneDrive that everyone has, and put the photo or file there.
    It requires a simple operation as owner, to make the folder available to all, and able to download but not delete files.

Many free personal "cloud" facilities are available - iCloud, Google. I just prefer Microsoft's OneDrive.
    Last edited by westernwombat; 05-11-2021 at 10:45 AM. Reason: clarification

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast