Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Default George Gambold 1778 - ? When did he die?

George Gambold was baptised 19 July 1778 at Wiston, Pembrokeshire; the son of John Gambold and his wife Diana (nee Richards).

He married Martha Howells on 15 June 1810 at Rudbaxton, Pembrokeshire. They had four sons: John David (1811 -?), William (1813-1873), Thomas (1816-1874) and George (1819-1840).

In 1836 he was living at Ramswood, Rudbaxton, as he appears on the “List of persons entitled to vote in the election of a knight of shire for the county of Pembroke in respect of property situate in the parish of Rudbaxton”, and was allowed to do so under the “Leasehold for Lives” qualification.

In the 1841 Census only his wife and son, William can be found. (Note the Martha Gambold aged 20 living with Martha Howells Gambold was not her daughter, but her niece). As far as the other sons are concerned: John David had been transported in 1832, George was dead, and Thomas – no idea!

By 1842 according to various Tithe Maps the leaseholders of two plots of land in Rudbaxton were Martha Gambold and Mrs Gambold.

In 1846 Martha Howells Gambold remarried, declaring herself a widow.

Despite extensive searching I have never found a death or burial record for George senior. I am assuming that he died between 1836 and 1 July 1837. Can anyone come up with a find?

I haven't been able to find anything Megan and the bible entries on the public tree on ancestry aren't any help.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    I haven't been able to find anything Megan and the bible entries on the public tree on ancestry aren't any help.
    Christina

Thanks for looking Christina. It may well be my public tree that you've looked at. The family bible pages came from a bible that my great uncle had, and he gave them to one of my aunt's and I put them on line.

Latest mention I can spot (which you most likely have) is John Howells' will (George's father in law) which George signed as witness 5 Mar 1834 and probate granted 12 Dec 1835.
    There was a noted Moravian in Hwlffordd in the mid 1700s, John Gambold, with a brother George. Was the later George linked to this movement?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Super Moderator

If you search for George Gambold you may be interested to read the article on the Gambold Family from the Dictionary of Welsh Biography

I can't help thinking that there should be a will somewhere if he had enough property to vote, but since I've escaped from the Scottish sector, I am having no real luck with searches. Could he have died abroad? There was no indication that my Great Uncle had left the country until he turned up in a Find a grave entry in Canada, where his sister was living...
    Lastly, did his job need him to move around? When people died away from home (but in-country) they were sometimes not identified. In the Kirk registers for burials for my OPS, there are entries such as "a man taken from the river" and "a man found dead on the road". I doubt if any of them are yours, but someone may be looking for them. In Scotland they're well-recorded as there's usually a fight about who pays for the burial!

The absence of a will puzzled me after I'd checked Welsh probate - reasonable to expect one.
    The records for the Moravian Chapel, St Thomas' and Rosemary Lane (up to 1837), appear to have been filmed on IGI/FamSearch - but drew a blank.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

I had a quick look for a death notice in the Newspaper Archive, but the nearest I could come was a William George Gambold.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Latest mention I can spot (which you most likely have) is John Howells' will (George's father in law) which George signed as witness 5 Mar 1834 and probate granted 12 Dec 1835.
    There was a noted Moravian in Hwlffordd in the mid 1700s, John Gambold, with a brother George. Was the later George linked to this movement?
    Anyone with the name Gambold is related. The Moravians, John and George, were brothers of the missing George's gt gt grandfather William who was a Methodist exhorted. By the time you get to missing George's generation they seem to be particularly religious.

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    If you search for George Gambold you may be interested to read the article on the Gambold Family from the Dictionary of Welsh Biography
    Thanks I know all about that. One of my aunt's was a contributor to the later amendment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast