Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
I can't help thinking that there should be a will somewhere if he had enough property to vote, but since I've escaped from the Scottish sector, I am having no real luck with searches. Could he have died abroad? There was no indication that my Great Uncle had left the country until he turned up in a Find a grave entry in Canada, where his sister was living...
Lastly, did his job need him to move around? When people died away from home (but in-country) they were sometimes not identified. In the Kirk registers for burials for my OPS, there are entries such as "a man taken from the river" and "a man found dead on the road". I doubt if any of them are yours, but someone may be looking for them. In Scotland they're well-recorded as there's usually a fight about who pays for the burial!

If there was a Will it would either be at the National Library of Wales or Canterbury and I've found nothing in either place.

He didn't own property - he had a lifetime tenancy and that was the voting qualification- something I knew nothing about until a couple of years ago when the electoral register appeared on Ancestry.

He was a farmer and it's more than possible that he would have travelled to markets. His son John who was transported for horse stealing stole a couple of horses in Carmarthenshire and was caught selling them in Pontypridd! My favourite theory is that he ended up being one of those "known only to God".