Knowledgeable and helpful

Question Glasgow to Rothesay 1950s

Hi

I am in the throes of writing our families stories. The section I am presently working on discusses the summer holidays as a youngster. I have spent a few hours typing queries on the web but cannot seem to find a site that answers my questions.
    So as a last resort I am hoping there may be someone on the fourm who may be able to help, either with answers or pointers to appropriate web sites.
    In the early/mid 1950s when we lived in Manchester we travelled by coach from Chorlton Street Bus Station to my aunt's home in Motherwell, getting off the coach in Hamilton. One day we caught a train to Glasgow and then went to a ferry wharf. We may have walked, or caught a bus/tram, or even a train. Anyway I remember we sailed down the Clyde passing shipyards and in one of the inlets/bays on the northern side of the river I saw quite a few warships at anchor - probably waiting to be scrapped.
    Where was the ferry terminal in Glasgow? And how would we have got there from Glasgow Central Station?

On a second holiday my aunt, cousin and I went, I think to Gourock, could be wrong. My aunt talked a trawler man into giving her a rather large mackeral. Was Gourock a fishing port? I remember we caught a train to that port. Was it Gourock?

Hopefully someone can help
    David

David, would you like me to move this to the General Scottish forum, or even to Lanarkshire? It may possible attract more attention there.

This site says Gourock was once a fishing port known for its herring.
    Wikipedia has some information on Gourock railway station which opened on 1 June 1889 and it still has 3 platforms in use and is fully staffed 7 days a week.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

https://maps.nls.uk/view/75650619

Central Station is on the eastern edge of the map. Below it is "Passenger Wharf".
    Along the river are several ferry crossings (Clyde Street Ferry, Finniston Ferry, Govan Ferry). These cross the river, your trip appears more a "tour" of the Clyde.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

An example of a Clyde "tour".

Fife Herald, 11 Aug 1954
    STAFF TRIP
    Fifty eight of the staff and friends left Cupar at 8am in two buses and went to the Broomielaw**, Glasgow where they arrived at 11 am. They embarked on the Queen Mary 2nd, which left immediately and sailed via Gourock, Rothesay and Dunoon, and also called at Tighnabruaich. Altogether, there were 200 passengers on the boat. They returned to Glasgow at 8 pm.

** - "Broomielaw" runs parallel with the "Passenger Wharf" on 1938 map.

I googled "Broomielaw 1950s" and came up with some great photos

Hi Lesley
    I did wonder about posting in the General Scottish forum. I have had some positive replies (see below) on this thread so if you feel there may be more attention on that forum then by all means go ahead.
    Off to follow the links in the replies now.
    Thanks
    David

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    This site says Gourock was once a fishing port known for its herring.
    Wikipedia has some information on Gourock railway station which opened on 1 June 1889 and it still has 3 platforms in use and is fully staffed 7 days a week.
    Christina
    Thanks for the links Christina. My browsers (Firefox or Edge) wouldn't let me follow the link "This site" - claims it was a security risk.
    So I entered Gourock fishing port and was directed to a site "Inverclyde Heritage Network" - some interesting information there.
    Thanks again, David

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    https://maps.nls.uk/view/75650619

Central Station is on the eastern edge of the map. Below it is "Passenger Wharf".
    Along the river are several ferry crossings (Clyde Street Ferry, Finniston Ferry, Govan Ferry). These cross the river, your trip appears more a "tour" of the Clyde.
    Many thanks for the link to the map. Oh how I wish that I lived in Melbourne and could print it off on our daughter's A3 printer.
    We definitely ended up in Rothesay - my dad and I hired a row boat for an hour and had great fun.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    I googled "Broomielaw 1950s" and came up with some great photos
    Many thanks for the snippet from the Fife Herald.

I googled Broomielaw and as you stated - some great photos.

I have some really good information now to add into my family story.

I really appreciate the help from everyone.
    Thanks
    David