Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Question Trying to find Robert Goodman

Hi there,

I am looking for any information on a Robert Goodman who lived at 6 Clairview Road Streatham London 1946/7, and I would be very grateful if anyone could help me.

I have a, finding a needle in a haystack, situation and am trying to find the man that was apparently my late great grandmother's landlord in 1946. All I have is his a name 'Robert Goodman' or 'Major Bob'. The only true connection I have found is a 1946/7 electrol register that puts both him, my great grandmother and her best friend in the same house. However I have no way of linking this guy to any other Robert Goodmans I find on Ancestry, as he could be any of them without having or knowing his age, DoB, birthplace, etc. Frustrating to say the least.

Some vague bits of information I have been told about this guy, was that he was apparently a married man. And that he apparently served in WW1 but 'too old' to serve in WW2. He apparently got to rank of captain/major.

My great grandmother was very secretive with her past as she was based in Bletchely during WW2, and to this day I still do not know what she did there, nor can I find her name on the released Bletchley register list. I have been told it was at Bletchley where my great grandmother apparently met Robert Goodman.

I visited Bletchley and got speaking to one of the Workers there who explained to us that there are 2 reasons why names may not be found on the released register 1. The documents were destroyed or damaged in the war 2. The person's likely went on to do further high up or secretive work after their time at Bletchley I was told that if they had been provided with more high level/secretive work, then their details will not be released and will remain unreleased until the 100 year anniversary of WW2. Which is still years off!

I have no DoB, death information, or any other bits of information for Robert Goodman, that could help my search. I am finding it such a struggle to find the 'right' Robert Goodman and would be great to solve this mystery.

If any one has any information, big or small, I would love to hear it and exchange information. My hunt of finding this needle continues, but the haystack will not beat me!

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I hope someone can help me with my hunt.

Thanks! Jamie 🙂

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.JRL View Post
    Hi there,

I am looking for any information on a Robert Goodman who lived at 6 Clairview Road Streatham London 1946/7, and I would be very grateful if anyone could help me.

I have a, finding a needle in a haystack, situation and am trying to find the man that was apparently my late great grandmother's landlord in 1946. All I have is his a name 'Robert Goodman' or 'Major Bob'. The only true connection I have found is a 1946/7 electrol register that puts both him, my great grandmother and her best friend in the same house. However I have no way of linking this guy to any other Robert Goodmans I find on Ancestry, as he could be any of them without having or knowing his age, DoB, birthplace, etc. Frustrating to say the least.

Some vague bits of information I have been told about this guy, was that he was apparently a married man. And that he apparently served in WW1 but 'too old' to serve in WW2. He apparently got to rank of captain/major.

My great grandmother was very secretive with her past as she was based in Bletchely during WW2, and to this day I still do not know what she did there, nor can I find her name on the released Bletchley register list. I have been told it was at Bletchley where my great grandmother apparently met Robert Goodman.

I visited Bletchley and got speaking to one of the Workers there who explained to us that there are 2 reasons why names may not be found on the released register 1. The documents were destroyed or damaged in the war 2. The person's likely went on to do further high up or secretive work after their time at Bletchley I was told that if they had been provided with more high level/secretive work, then their details will not be released and will remain unreleased until the 100 year anniversary of WW2. Which is still years off!

I have no DoB, death information, or any other bits of information for Robert Goodman, that could help my search. I am finding it such a struggle to find the 'right' Robert Goodman and would be great to solve this mystery.

If any one has any information, big or small, I would love to hear it and exchange information. My hunt of finding this needle continues, but the haystack will not beat me!

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I hope someone can help me with my hunt.

Thanks! Jamie 🙂
    Just found him on the 1946 electoral roll at the address given along with Kathleen M Ambler and Jessie Kerr, Also the 1947 entry with John Cowling, Joyce Cowling, Robert Goodman, & Jessie Kerr. There is a J after Robert's name, that means he is eligible for Jury Service.
    In 1952 the Cowling's were living at a different address - 33a Fieldhouse Rd

1951 6 Clairview Road: Kathleen Brown, Diana Davies, John R Davies, Jessie Kerr. Was your relative Kathleen or Jessie?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    Just found him on the 1946 electoral roll at the address given along with Kathleen M Ambler and Jessie Kerr, Also the 1947 entry with John Cowling, Joyce Cowling, Robert Goodman, & Jessie Kerr. There is a J after Robert's name, that means he is eligible for Jury Service.
    In 1952 the Cowling's were living at a different address - 33a Fieldhouse Rd

1951 6 Clairview Road: Kathleen Brown, Diana Davies, John R Davies, Jessie Kerr. Was your relative Kathleen or Jessie?
    Yes, the 1946 and 1947 Electrol Register is the only hard evidence I have of the Robert Goodman I am looking for, as I do not know any other personal information other than his name. On the 1946 register, my great grandmother Kathleen Ambler lived with him. Jessie Kerr was my great grandmother's best friend. I have been told that he was maybe my great grandmothers landlord? And they maybe worked together during WW2. I have done so much research through Ancestry based on the snippets facts I have been told about this Robert Goodman, however I cannot be sure that my findings are a match to the Robert Goodman named in the 1946 Electrol Register.

I would love to know if there is a way to find more information other than a name and address from Electrol Registers. And I would also love to know if there is way of finding out who owned a property back in 1946.