Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Default Release date of 1921 census announced

Read all about it, including the cost of accessing transcriptions and images.
    https://www.
    findmypast.co.uk/1921-census

I'm assuming that if you pay to look at the image, you get to look at the transcript (which will have the census reference ) for free.

Any complaints about the cost should be referred to FMP, and not moaned about on this forum.
    I believe that when the 1911 census was released you could go to Kew and look at it for 'free', although unless you had a bus or rail pass you had to factor in the cost of getting to Kew. No doubt the same thing will happen this time.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

And an announcement from The National Archives.
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...ent=2021-10-27

Thank you, Pam. We're all going to be very busy on 06/01/22
    Alma

Brick wall demolition expert!

The National Archives have announced that the 1921 census will be free to access at Kew, at Manchester Central library and at the National Library of Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    The National Archives have announced that the 1921 census will be free to access at Kew, at Manchester Central library and at the National Library of Wales.
    Thanks for the additional info re Manchester and Wales, Megan. (I think it was already known that it would be free at Kew.)

However, bearing in mind travel costs and (certainly in January) dodgy weather, plus the general fight for a computer terminal, I'll take the easy option of spending my money online, at home in the warm.

Just checked the train fare - £17.60, plus £10 taxi to and from home, and three and a half hours train travelling in total. Absolutely no contest.

Thanks, Pam.
    However, Bear in mind also that this doesn’t apply to Scotland! That will be later.

I'm with you there Pam.

Given FMP's costs I think I will prioritise my searches.

How could I have forgotten that the 1921 was released today?

Just found my dad, but not living where I expected him to be. Thought he and his parents would be with his maternal grandparents, but they're with one of his mother's sisters and her husband and children.

You pay for each transcript or image separately.

One hint: you don't get access to the transcript included in the cost of the image, but you can still get the census reference for free.
    If looking at the image you will see a link to 'extra materials'. Click, and select 'cover'.

In the top left-hand corner, you will see RG15/ followed by a number which is the piece number. That needs to be followed by the schedule number, which is in the box in top right-hand corner of the image.

Back to the cover, where, under the piece number, there's a box with Registration district, sub-district, and enumeration district. So my interpretation of the census reference is that is should read something like RG15/17801 SN345 RD415 RS4 ED4.
    RG15 = National Archives designated code for 1921 census
    "17801" - example of piece number
    SN - schedule number
    RD - registration district number
    RS - sub-district number
    ED - enumeration district

ADDED:
    To find the address, from the extra materials select 'front'. That also shows the
    registration district, sub-district, and enumeration district.

Now off to find my mum. I absolutely know where she's living as granny lived in the same house from the time she married till she died seventy-two years later. Just a question of how many children were living in the small house.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Re the free access at Manchester Library.
    You will need a library card.
    If you don't have a library card, you can get one on the spot by just showing ID that shows your address. You can also register for a library card online. Just click Register in the upper right of your screen. You can use your temporary library card for two months before you need to take proof of your address to a library to get your "permanent" card.

No advance booking of computers in the family history area, and possibly limited to two hours per session, depending on demand. Computers in other areas of the library are bookable, initially for one hour. Phone 0161 234 1983.
    Charge for non-library members of £2 per hour for computer use.

Thanks for the "other materials" tip.

Now I just need a way to work out how to find my grandmother without breaking the bank. She isn't with her mother, and nor can I find her son.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast