Loves to help with queries

Default the use of the term "nee"

If a woman is born to an unmarried mother (without father mentioned), then adopted and surname changed to that of the adopted parents, then marries .. is she Mrs Married Surname, formerly Adopted surname, nee mother's surname or nee adopted name then formerly born name?

Likewise if man in same circumstance or is he simply "formerly once and formerly twice" without "nee" anything?

Strange question, but one I am pondering. Thanks all

Famous for offering help & advice

It's sort of a moot question isn't it, as there would be no circumstance requiring them to state all of their former surnames, and many adoptees don't even know who their biological parent are.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I can only quote from an example in my family.
    Woman marries, and marriage certificate says Susan Ann Green followed by, in brackets 'otherwise Freda Brenda Brown'.
    Her birth was registered as Freda Brenda Brown.
    Her son's birth registration has the mother's maiden name as Green.
    She was always known in the family as Susan.
    Her death certificate says 'Susan Ann Downes, otherwise Freda Brenda Downes'. i.e. the first names she was known as for most of her life, followed by the names she was given at birth.
    (All names are fictitious, by the way. )

She's in the 1911 census with her original name of Freda Brenda Brown, living with her adopted parents and stated as 'adopted daughter'.

Hopefully our BMD expert will be along within the next few days to say what should be said on certificates issued in England and Wales. However what 'should' and what 'is' are not necessarily the same. Plus, it all depends on what an adopted person knows of their history, and/or what was told to the Registrar or Vicar in the case of a marriage.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

It will vary with time and country. However, legally, birth names cease to be relevant on adoption - people have only recently had the right to see out original records and know the names of birth parents.

Loves to help with queries

Thanks everyone for thoughts. I have searched the web a bit more and think if I go with "Brown" formerly "Green" née "Black" for the lady I wont be far off the mark. Brown = married name; green = adopted name; black = birth name. And for the man apparently I should use né (without the second e) for his birth name. And of course I just realise I don't need "formerly" twice for a man, unless he changed his name by deed poll or got readopted or something drastic - (silly me) Do appreciate people's thoughts though.

In Scotland, “formerly” normally indicates a previous marriage.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    In Scotland, “formerly” normally indicates a previous marriage.
    I think that applies in England and Wales too.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”