Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Elizabeth Ann Gifford wife of a Russian gen.

Dear experts!

I ask you to provide possible assistance in establishing the origin of the wife of the Russian general Daragan - Elizaveta Iosifovna Daragan (1829-1871).

According to the very modest information available in the family of the general's descendants, Elizabeth before her marriage bore the name Elizabeth Ann Gifford, born on February 17, 1829, was the daughter of a British citizen Joseph (Gifford).

The family keeps two portraits of Elizabeth herself and her father Joseph.

Unfortunately, the descendants do not have any other information that could be "hooked on". In this regard, I would be grateful for any hint.

Sincerely

In the photo, Elizabeth and her father Joseph:

Last edited by Pam Downes; 26-10-2021 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Direct link in Russian removed.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Bertenev,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Do you know where or when Elizabeth and her husband married? If it was in Russia, do you know if you can obtain a copy of their marriage certificate? Alternatively, did they have any children? Again, where and when were they born? And again, do you know if you can obtain copies of their birth certificates? I ask because you can often find out all sorts of details from certificates.

I had a look on FamilySearch and found this,
    https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en...ealogy_Records
    regarding Russian genealogy records. I typed in Daragan on one of the marriage links but as the results were in Russian I wasn't able to go any further. I would suggest that you click on the links for births and marriages to see what you can find.

You may have noticed that I removed the link to the Wikipedia entry regarding General Daragan. This is because it was in Russian and I doubt that more than one or two of our members would have been able to translate it. If you can provide a copy in English, then you can post it, but leave the link as a 'plain' URL, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia. Don't embed it.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Hello, Pam!

Thanks for the welcome words and hints.

Sorry, no marriage record was found. Of course, the general and his wife had offspring. Moreover, the eldest children in the family (boys) were given the name "Joseph", in honor of the general's father-in-law (Joseph Gifford).

My Russian is very rusty, having studied in Moscow fifty years ago, but I can still read the cyrillic script in the links Pam gave. However, it would help to have General Daragan's full name and the approximate date of the marriage. Also, where in "Russia" were the children born - was it in what is now Russia or could it be in the Ukraine or one of the Baltic states? If Joseph was working in Russia then Elizabeth could have been born there, so an approximate location would be useful as Russia is very big .
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Starting to feel at home

Fyodor Ivanovich Daragan (1815-1874) - Major General, Oryol Provincial Military Chief.

Biography

Born in 1815, he came from the nobles of Poltava province. He was educated in the Moscow Cadet Corps, from which he was released as an ensign in horse artillery No. 21 on December 13, 1833.

He spent a significant part of his service in the Caucasus, where he repeatedly took part in matters with highlanders. For his distinctions, he was awarded the Order of St. Anna 3rd degree with swords and a bow, was promoted to lieutenant colonel in 1847 and promoted to colonel in 1851.

Appointed commander of the Suzdal Infantry Regiment in 1854, Daragan marched to the Danube Theater of War against the Turks and was under the siege of Silistria, for distinction he was awarded the Order of St. Vladimir 4th degree with a bow. Daragan spent the campaign of 1855 in the ranks of the garrison besieged by the Anglo-French Sevastopol. On August 20, 1855, he was awarded a gold half-saber with the inscription "For Bravery" and on November 26, 1855 he was awarded the Order of St. Georgy 4th degree for 25 years of service in officer ranks (No. 9662 on the cavalry list of Grigorovich - Stepanov). In addition, Daragan received the Order of St. Vladimir 3rd degree with swords over the order (in 1855).

Since 1863, Daragan has been listed by reserve troops and army infantry, in 1864 he was appointed Oryol provincial military commander and promoted to major general on April 4, 1865. Among other awards, he had the Order of St. Stanislav 1st degree (1868) and St. Anna 1st degree with swords (1870).

He died on April 3, 1874.

Starting to feel at home

… Was on campaigns in 1841, 1844 and 1845 against the highlanders; June 14, 1845 - Anna of the 3rd degree for storming the Andean Heights.
    … May 29, 1847 - Major of the Volyn Infantry Regiment (Kishinev).
    … From January 1, 1849 to April 20, 1851, he was in charge of teams seconded to train the Wallachian militia, for which 12 000 of piastres were awarded as a reward by the possession prince of Wallachia…

The eldest son of the Daragan couple - Joseph Fedorovich, b. 23 Feb 1848; railway engineer.

Thank you. From this I have found a page about him at https://oktmo.ru/stati/545-daragan-fedor-ivanovich.html, which I presume is where you got your English translation. Nice to see a picture. It says he came from Poltava, which I think is in the Ukraine, about half way between Kiev and Donetsk. Donetsk was previously called Hughesovska, after John Hughes, a Welshman who started up several coal mines and a steel works in the area. I wonder if Joseph Gifford did something similar in Poltava? Sadly I don't know anything about finding Ukrainian records and have found nothing on the marriage of Fyodor Ivanovich and Elizabeth Ann, but at least all the information is now here in this thread should anyone be able to help. всего наилучшего!
    Sue Mackay

You might find something useful at https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Ukraine_Genealogy
    Sue Mackay

Starting to feel at home

With your permission, I will make some clarifications and additions to my first message. There are memoirs of one of Elizabeth's sons, according to which Elizabeth's father was a merchant, a traveling salesman. From time to time he visited Odessa on trade business. His name was Joseph Heaford, and he was from London. Joseph also had a son (Elizabeth's brother) Albert, whose portrait I posted in my first message, mistakenly indicating that it was a portrait of Elizabeth's father (Joseph). Thus, the portrait depicts brother Albert Heaford, who lived in London and lived to a very old age (it seems that he was alive in the 70-90 years of the 19th century, and his Russian nephew periodically visited him).

Elizabeth (Betty Ann) was the eldest daughter of the London merchant Joseph Heaford.

Settling in

Elizabeth Ann Heaford, daughter of Joseph Heaford and Sarah Elizabeth, was born 5 Feb 1829 and christened 9 Apr 1829 in the British Chaplaincy, St Petersburg, Russia.

Joseph Heaford married Sarah Elizabeth Jackson on 18 Apr 1827 in Bosbury, Hereford, England.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast