Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default The Quicke family

Hi,

I wonder if you wouldn't mind checking a couple of generations for me please? Parent to child info.

I have had my DNA tested through ancestry which links me with a match to the Quick family, but I do not have the funds at the minute to purchase certificates or look through records on ancestry.
    My DNA match takes me up to Joel Quick. But I really dont like having too many gaps, facts wise in my tree without knowing for definite, the connections. Please could someone help confirm the relationships between, perhaps from William Quick who married Ann Sharland to John Quick the 3rd? It would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

These are the relationships with info I have so far, connecting me to the Quicke family:
    My Great Grandparents,
    Edith Vickery b. 1900 Tiverton Devon, married Charles Bell Baker, 1896 b Chapel street, Tiverton Devon
    Edith's parents are:
    William J Vickery abt 1861 Milverton, somerset, married Sarah Ann Quick abt 1863 Tiverton.
    Sarah's parents are:
    James Bragg Quick 1813 Stockleigh English married Harriet Webber 1827 woolfardisworthy.
    James parents are:
    William Quick married to Ann Sharland 1774 Stockleigh English.
    William's parents are:
    Joel Quick June 1717 combpyne, Devon married to Elizabeth Ann Marshall 1720 Widworthy.
    Joels parents are:
    Robert Quick 1674 Axmouth Devon married to Ann 1680 Axmouth.
    Roberts parents are:
    John Quick the 3rd aug 1656 Newton Saint Cyres, Devon married to Mary Ann Tucker 1652 Axmouth.
    Johns parents are:
    Sir John Quicke 1630 Newton Saint Cyres Devon married to Elizabeth Braham Southcote 1633 Buckland tout Saints Manor.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I can't help with the DNA, but have you checked with your local library? Most give free access to Ancestry Library Edition, and some give it free to access at home.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbertlouise View Post
    Hi,

I wonder if you wouldn't mind checking a couple of generations for me please? Parent to child info.

I have had my DNA tested through ancestry which links me with a match to the Quick family, but I do not have the funds at the minute to purchase certificates or look through records on ancestry.
    My DNA match takes me up to Joel Quick. But I really dont like having too many gaps, facts wise in my tree without knowing for definite, the connections. Please could someone help confirm the relationships between, perhaps from William Quick who married Ann Sharland to John Quick the 3rd? It would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

These are the relationships with info I have so far, connecting me to the Quicke family:
    My Great Grandparents,
    Edith Vickery b. 1900 Tiverton Devon, married Charles Bell Baker, 1896 b Chapel street, Tiverton Devon
    Edith's parents are:
    William J Vickery abt 1861 Milverton, somerset, married Sarah Ann Quick abt 1863 Tiverton.
    I presume you have a copy of Sarah's marriage certificate which will confirm her father is James
    Sarah's parents are:
    James Bragg Quick 1813 Stockleigh English married Harriet Webber 1827 woolfardisworthy.
    and that you've found James, Harriet and Sarah on the relevant census.

James parents are:
    William Quick married to Ann Sharland 1774 Stockleigh English.
    William's parents are:
    Joel Quick June 1717 combpyne, Devon married to Elizabeth Ann Marshall 1720 Widworthy.
    Joels parents are:
    Robert Quick 1674 Axmouth Devon married to Ann 1680 Axmouth.
    Roberts parents are:
    John Quick the 3rd aug 1656 Newton Saint Cyres, Devon married to Mary Ann Tucker 1652 Axmouth.
    Johns parents are:
    Sir John Quicke 1630 Newton Saint Cyres Devon married to Elizabeth Braham Southcote 1633 Buckland tout Saints Manor.
    The further you go back in time the more difficult it is to prove relationships. Often all you can do is eliminate the definite 'no's'. e.g. someone baptised in 1700 in place A,followed by a burial aged 6 in 1706 place A is likely to be a 'no'. However if you have someone baptised in 1700 and someone with the same name baptised in 1701 in the same place a death aged 6 in 1706 is not quite such a straight-forward 'no' because you have no idea how old the child baptised in 1701 was at the time of baptism. (I have someone baptised just before they were married in 1798. There's then him and another Thomas living in the same village, both having children baptised in the same decade. Impossible to 'prove' which was mine, though I think they were cousins - it's a fairly unusual surname - so they'd go back to the same ancestor.)

Are the details you've given from other people's trees, or are they what you think is the correct sequence because you've searched for all the Quicks in Devon and bordering counties? Always bearing in mind that some parish registers might not have survived?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Oh wow...Thank you for that info. I didn't know that. Thank you, I will check it out when able to on Monday. I had hoped that there might be someone with resources of baptism/marriage etc who could just confirm the relationships for me?
    Thank you for your reply and idea

Pam,
    Thank you. The problem with my documents with relevant info that I had previously found, Ancestry is not allowing me to view because my subscription has ended. I do have infor on Sarah Ann and James, but cant get at it. The other relationships...william and Ann Sharland including the next couple of generations were found by others on ancestry, including the computer which sorts out the matches. There was a doc which gave the marriage between them, and the info on the relationships before John Quicke esq back in time are on wiki and google etc because they were famous but its bridging the gap that I would like to be able to do but cannot, due to restrictions. I have downloaded a will of John Quicks today, but cannot read it properly!
    Thank you so much for ur help

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Try this link for help with the old writing.
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/palaeography/
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbertlouise View Post
    Pam,
    Thank you. The problem with my documents with relevant info that I had previously found, Ancestry is not allowing me to view because my subscription has ended. I do have infor on Sarah Ann and James, but cant get at it. The other relationships...william and Ann Sharland including the next couple of generations were found by others on ancestry, including the computer which sorts out the matches. There was a doc which gave the marriage between them, and the info on the relationships before John Quicke esq back in time are on wiki and google etc because they were famous but its bridging the gap that I would like to be able to do but cannot, due to restrictions. I have downloaded a will of John Quicks today, but cannot read it properly!
    Thank you so much for ur help

You can get a 'pay as you go' subscription to Ancestry for just under 10pounds. Access is for 14 days with 12 record views. You can look at as many records as you like (I usually look at 100's), the 'views' are for the original record view. I use it all the time because I can't afford a yearly subscription.

"Joel Quick, June 1717, Combpyne, Devon married to Elizabeth Ann Marshall 1720, Widworthy.
    Joel's parents are:
    Robert Quick 1674, Axmouth, Devon married to Ann 1680 Axminster"

I can spot (FMP transcript only) -
    Joel Quick, baptised 18 July 1717, Combpyne, base born son of Anne Quick.

What's the source of your "Joel Quick 1717"?

c
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Ancestry (no image- transcript only) confirms the FMP result with Joel Quick, bap 18 July 1717 - no father named.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Thank you Pat, I didnt know that

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast