Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Thank you for finding that information for me. I have been doing a bit of digging around on family search and now I am even more confused than I was before.

I appreciate that I should, to do things properly in the first off, be buying Birth and marriage certificates, but to be honest with you, at the minute, I cannot afford to. And I actually think its good learning to find out what you can actually do on a tight budget.

So, family search give James Bragg Quick as having two marriages. One to Jemima and one to Harriet. The information that I had on my tree previously, ancestry wont let me view at the minute, so therefore I cannot see how I came to find out about him...but my tree says that I am related through him and his wife Harriet.
    And my DNA gives matches through both William Quick, his supposed Dad and matches through Ann Sharland, his supposed mum. Thing is, today, I found that James Bragg Quicks Baptism record says that he was illegitimate. It only gives his mums name as Ann Quicke.
    How can I be related to someone through the Quick family and through the Sharland family if he was illegitimate?

I spoke to the records people today too, who said that there were 63 William Quicks and the guy didn't think that the combpyne one could be my William because apparantly the Sandford John Sharland wasn't married???

So then...Im beginning to think that James Bragg Quick was a census mistake? and maybe Ann Quick is a different Ann, perhaps with a brother William who married Ann Sharland?

I don't know...I'm baffled.

I think I really do need to but a couple of marriage/birth certificates when I have the money.
    Thank you for helping me. It is very much appreciated!

I want to check each generation really...but just cant do it money wise at the minute.

1871 RG10 Piece 2173 Folio 10 Page 15
    Lower Barton Cottage Tiverton
    James Quick 56 ag lab Stockleigh English
    Harriet Quick 44 Wolfardesworthy Somerset
    Sarah Quick 9 born Tiverton
    John Quick 7 Tiverton

GRO Index birth reg for Sarah Ann Quick reg dist Tiverton June 1/4 1862 vol 58 page 440 Mother's maiden name Webber
    John James Quick March 1/4 1864 reg district Tiverton vol 5b page 462 Mother's maiden name Webber

Marriage March 1/4 1860 vol 5b page 719 reg District Crediton, Devon. James Bragg Quick and Harriet Webber on the same page. Vol

1851 HO107 piece 1887 folio 334 page 9
    address Stockley English
    James Bragg Quick 38 Farm labouer Stockleigh English, Devon,
    Jemima Quick 46 Sandford, Devon
    Marriage of James Bragg Quick and Jemima Quick 1848

There is a George Sharland age 17 on the same page in 1851 born Stockleigh Farland.

Jemima was previously married to George Quick and her maiden name is Webber! She is in the 1841 census with daughter Maria age 15 who I haven't traced as yet. HO107 Piece 209 Book 10
    Folio 2 Page 15 Jemima death eg 1858.

Jemima Webber
    Marriage 1824
    Marriage Place - Stockleigh English,Devon,England
    Spouse George Quick

I wonder if James Bragg Quick actually had another marriage prior to marrying Jemima in 1848?

How can I be related to someone through the Quick family and through the Sharland family if he was illegitimate?
    James Bragg Quick's unknown father may be a Sharland.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Jemima's daughter Maria's death reg probably as she is not on the censuses after 1841
    Deaths September 1/4 1841
    Maria Quick registration district Tiverton vol 10 page 162
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

my DNA gives matches through both William Quick, his supposed Dad and matches through Ann Sharland, his supposed mum. Thing is, today, I found that James Bragg Quicks Baptism record says that he was illegitimate. It only gives his mums name as Ann Quicke.
    I'm no expert on DNA, but as I understand it the 'match' is only as good as the information on the other tree(s), so if they have the incorrect parents for James Bragg Quick, then although you match for DNA, the name(s) of the 'shared ancestor(s)' are wrong.

My suspicion is that if Ann was unmarried, or a widow, then the forenames 'James Bragg' are probably a strong clue to the name of father.

I also noticed the baptism of an Ann Quick 1808 in Stockleigh English, detailed only as 'illegitimate child' with no parent named.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post

My suspicion is that if Ann was unmarried, or a widow, then the forenames 'James Bragg' are probably a strong clue to the name of father.
    I'd plumped for that. There's a James Bragg. born 1789 in the locale that I had my money on.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Wow thank you so much for your help!

I had wondered about the name James Bragg being the fathers name because I have a similar situation with my Great Grandfather, Charles Bell Baker. His mother Maude, took his father to court for maintenance. She named him after his father Charles Bell.

So, looking at the info, its looking like Sarah Ann Quick's parents are James Bragg Quick and Harriet or Jemima Webber?
    Also, on ancestry, it shows Ann Sharland and William Quick having three children...there could be more, but there are only three that I have traced so far. James Bragg Quick, William Quick and Ann Harriet Quick. William Quick's line and Ann Harriet Quicks line show DNA matches to me. Ann Sharland has a sister, Elizabeth Sharland. There are other children in the family, but Elizabeth's line has a DNA match with me.
    Could it be possible that James Bragg Quick is not the actual father for Sarah Ann and perhaps her father's name is merely James Quick or James B Quick and someone just put the Bragg in because it seemed to fit and perhaps Ann Sharland and William Quick to have a son named James?
    Thank you so much for helping me sort this out.

According to ancestry, Ann Sharland's parents are John Sharland and Elizabeth Carrew/Carew. There is a marriage between William Quick and Ann Sharland and it states that John Sharland is a blacksmith.
    Ann's siblings are Thomas 1769 who married Ann Haydon, Mary Sharland 1772, Elizabeth 1776 and John Sharland 1779. All stockleigh English.
    I could understand how I could be connected to the Quick family via DNA with a different route being the fact that Sarah Ann was a Quick before marriage to William Vickery. But the Sharland DNA match still puzzles me if James Bragg Quick is correct and his mother is not connected with Sharland. I'd like to find out more, where the Sharland comes from?...Thank you again...very much!

Famous for offering help & advice

on ancestry, it shows Ann Sharland and William Quick having three children...there could be more, but there are only three that I have traced so far. James Bragg Quick, William Quick and Ann Harriet Quick
    Where on Ancestry does it show this? As you have already said, the 1813 baptism for James Bragg Quick shows only his mother - Ann - no mention of a father.

Ann Sharland & William Quick married in Shobrooke in 1797. They appear to have had a daughter in 1789, Mary, baptised Stockleigh English. I don't know where they went after this.

There is no baptism anywhere for an Ann Harriett Quick. The only reference to anyone by this name is on a handful of Ancestry trees, which have her baptised in 1789 at Combpyne - 9 years before William Quick & Ann Shaland even married, and with only one forename, Ann.

NB The Combpyne baptisms begin in 1785 and end in 1803, and the parents are almost certainly William Quick of "Coompaine" [Combpyne] & Ann Feddery of Shepton Mallett, who married in 1782. They baptised a daughter in Shepton in 1783 before moving back to Combpyne, where they were eventually buried - Ann in 1835 aged 76 (born c1759) and William in 1843 aged 86 (born c1757). Ann their daughter (who you have as Ann Harriet) is therefore NOT the sister of James Bragg Quick, and neither of them were children of William Quick & Ann Sharland!

Looking at the various trees on Ancestry, they really are an absolute mess, so if this is what you are relying on then all you're doing is repeating incorrect and badly researched information.

Please re-read my earlier comment regarding DNA matches: "the 'match' is only as good as the information on the other tree(s), so if they have the incorrect parents for James Bragg Quick, then although you match for DNA, the name(s) of the 'shared ancestor(s)' are wrong. Ancestry does not have the DNA of these deceased people remember, just the DNA of living people who are having a bash at doing their family tree (badly, it seems).

In short, you do NOT have any verified DNA matches to William Quick or to anyone named Sharland, all you have is matches to living people who have made some very bad guesses about who their ancestors might be. James Bragg Quick is probably right***, but I'm afraid that's as far back as you can go right now. His 1848 marriage certificate might name a father, but he was most likely the illegitimate son of Ann Quick and James Bragg.

Sorry to be so blunt, but you really need to understand the difference between having a DNA match to a long-deceased person (impossible, as they didn't take DNA tests in the 1700 or 1800s), and having a match with someone who THINKS they have an accurate tree, which in the case of the parents of James Bragg Quick, they really don't.

I think I really do need to but a couple of marriage/birth certificates when I have the money.
    I completely agree!

FMP Baptism (transcript/image)
    Sara Ann, baptised 10 Aug 1862, parents James Bragg Quick and Harriet Quick, abode Queen Street, father's occpn. labourer, place of Baptism, Parish of Upton, Church of St. Mary Magdalene, Torquay.

Re Jemima Webber in 1862 - have you determined her age at that time re. childbearing?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Default Thought I should add a few pics:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...D-27076F63C4FC

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...D-27076F63C4FC

Thrulines is a facility enabled by ancestry.com. It shows you where your DNA matches fit into your tree. Here are the pages which have Ann Sharland's match on and the other is William Quick's match.

I don't know how else to put the images on here of what I can see. I don't only look and copy other peoples trees. People make mistakes. I google. I write emails to archives. I ask genealogical experts. I ask whoever I can that would be in the know...such as on Britgen.
    I also use FMP when I have the money. If I cant afford it, I used their tree hints to find out if there are records that have info about the person I am researching. I use family search, which also shows documents. When using ancestry, when I can afford it, it has census records on there and that is where alot of the siblings come from.

Thank you for your assistance.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast