Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Default THOMAS/BEVAN/TREHARNE/WEARING

Would welcome help with clarifying relationships! My Ancestry tree is Watson Hughes Clarke.
    These families were mainly based in Tonyrefail, Llantrisant, Glamorgan and fall under Pontypridd registration.

David Thomas (1848-1929) married 1868 reg. Merthyr Tydfil Jane Powell 1868 (1852-1928) One of their sons Thomas Powell Thomas (often referred to in census etc as Thomas Thomas) (1869-1946) married 1894 Jane BEVAN 1894 reg Pontypridd. She born c1877 seemingly from Ton - can't find her birth nor parents but died 31 August 1938, 16 Collenna Road. POSSIBLE BIRTH:
    BEAVAN, JANE. mmn EVANS
    GRO Reference: 1877 J Quarter in PONTYPRIDD Volume 11A Page 378

So far so good.

I haven't got any census yet.

The 1939 Register also 16 Collenna Road "Thomas Thomas 18 Oct 1869 Colliery Winder Widowed.William B Thomas 31 Aug 1901 Colliery Rider Below. Married.John T Thomas 22 May 1915 Shop Assistant.Joan Locke (Thomas) 01 Aug 1916 Unpd Dom Duties. Megan Dudley (Thomas) 05 Dec 1917 Unpd Dom Duties."

1) Thomas Thomas is her husband
    2) William BEVAN Thomas - don't know who married to.

BUT I can't link the next three to this family so have made separate pages on my tree for them.
    Presumably these are siblings but I don't know why John has mmn Bevan-TREHARNE
    and also where the name Treharne comes from. I can't place their Parents. It is thought by others that
    Thomas Powell Thomas is their Father but there is a great gap between the last of the children I find
    for him and Jane BEVAN ie THOMAS, THOMAS ANTHONY. mmn BEVAN
    GRO Reference: 1903 D Quarter in PONTYPRIDD Volume 11A Page 556

1) John T Thomas 22 May 1915 Shop Assistant
    THOMAS, JOHN TREHARNE

BEVAN-TREHARNE

GRO Reference: 1913 S Quarter in PONTYPRIDD Volume 11A Page 1285

2) Joan Locke (Thomas) 01 Aug 1916 Unpd Dom Duties.

THOMAS, JOAN. mmn TRENARNE
    GRO Reference: 1916 S Quarter in PONTYPRIDD Volume 11A Page 1186

3) Megan Dudley (Thomas) 05 Dec 1917 Unpd Dom Duties"

THOMAS, MEGAN TREHARNE
    GRO Reference: 1918 M Quarter in PONTYPRIDD Volume 11A Page 1091

Transcript of the 1901 census: 38 Collenna Road Tonyrefail.

Thomas Thomas Head Married Male 31 1870 Colliery engine driver above ground Glamorganshire, Wales
    Jane Thomas Wife Married Female 23 1878 - Tonyrefail, Glamorganshire, Wales
    Minnie Thomas Daughter Single Female 4 1897 - Tonyrefail, Glamorganshire, Wales
    Caroline Thomas Daughter Single Female 2 1899 - Tonyrefail, Glamorganshire, Wales
    Maude Thomas Daughter Single Female 0 1901

it seems that the birth reg for the three girls are:

1)
    THOMAS, CAROLINE ANTHONY. mmn BEVAN
    GRO Reference: 1899 M Quarter in PONTYPRIDD Volume 11A Page 571

2)

THOMAS, MINNIE

TREHARNE

GRO Reference: 1896 S Quarter in PONTYPRIDD Volume 11A Page 573

3) THOMAS, MAUD

TREHARNE

GRO Reference: 1900 S Quarter in PONTYPRIDD Volume 11A Page 567

I had already got son Willie as William BEVAN Thomas (1901-1981) mmn Bevan

and Thomas as Thomas Anthony Thomas (1903-1950) mmn Bevan

So basically I don't know where Treharne comes from.

The Mother Jane BEVAN doesn't die until 1938.

WEARING

Whilst dealing with this very extended THOMAS FAMILY. I have Burial details for their grave with
    inscriptions on all four sides. (Ainon Welsh Baptist Chapel, Waunrhydd Road, Tonyrefail)
    One I can't fit into the family which is "Also Richard James Wearing, late of St. Fagans, who died September 3rd 1933." St Fagans I know is a village in/near Cardiff. I don't have Probate but understand Probate to Joseph John Wearing.
    He's died before the 1939 Reg I can't access electoral registers but have been told he was at 53 Collenna Road
    Tonyrefail but I don't know if anyone else was there at that time. I already have Margaret Thomas
    in the 1939 Reg with Thomas Anthony Powell (Daughter and of Son Thomas Powell and Jane) at 53 Collenna Road. I know about them.

Would welcome any input as tied myself in knots! with thanks Jill
    Last edited by gilian rowland; 23-10-2021 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Add apostrophe

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

You know from the 1901 census that Minnie and Maude, who have Treharne as their mother's maiden name, are the children of Thomas and Jane, so you need to splash the cash and obtain the birth certificate of either of them, and hopefully get a clue as to where the Treharne comes from. (You can get PDF copies for six quid from the GRO.)
    Um, whilst typing just had - wonder if Jane was born a Be(a)van, but then her father died,and her mother then married a Treharne so Jane then took her stepfather's name as she was growing up. You need to find Jane in the 1881 and 1891 census before she married.

Regarding Richard James Wearing - his death was recorded as plain James, aged 52.
    You need to trace him back in the census to find a possible connection. e.g. did he marry a sister of Thomas or Jane? Or does his connection to the family go back to a previous generation?
    I've only checked FreeBMD (as opposed to the full GRO Index) and there's a Richard James Wearing birth registration in Neath registration district, March quarter 1880.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks PAM Quick reply but will study in depth soon. However you say"You need to find Jane in the 1881 and 1891 census before she married." but how do I do that since I have no info to go on other than born c1877
    hence my possible birth suggestion.

What would really help in the census search is knowing the likely name and occupation of Jane's father - details which should appear on her marriage certificate to Thomas. It should also help to confirm her age in the 1901 census.

Without a father's name to help, than you're restricted to searching for a Sarah, born 1877/1878 (possibly adding in 1876 and 1879) and born/living in Tonyrefail/Llantrisant.

The alternative is to find any Sarah Beavan/Bevan/Treharne born 1877-1878, living in any of the places in the Pontypridd registration district, because obviously those places won't be too far away from Tonyrefail. There's also no guarantee that Jane's birthplace in the 1901 census is correct.
    https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/pontypridd.html

Thinking about it a bit more, I think you really do need Jane's marriage certificate as well as the birth certificate of Maude before you can go much further back with Jane.

Pam

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks again PAM I have been working this evening on adding Wearing to my Anc tree which has been very wearing!
    Just logging off but thought I'd have one more go at finding Jane BEVAN in a census and may have done
    but can't see the wood for the trees at present. There is an 1891 census Llanwonno Pontypridd for a Thomas Bevan married to Margaret so found a Marriage 1859 Merthyr Tydfil Thomas Bevan to Margaret Jenkins and then possible birth for Jane BEVAN
    BEVAN, JANE mmn JENKINS
    GRO Reference: 1877 D Quarter in MERTHYR TYDFIL Volume 11A Page 517
    Not sure that gets me anywhere yet though?

Not sure that gets me anywhere yet though?
    Not really.
    As I said, I think you do need Jane's marriage certificate which will hopefully have a father's name and occupation to help you find her on the census and then take the line further back.
    I also think you need Maude's birth certificate to see if it says anything other than plain Jane Treharne for the mother's maiden name. Treharne must have come from somewhere for it to be given as the mother's maiden name for some of the other children.

Though having said Maud's birth certificate, you could get Minnie's instead. It seems weird that Minnie's mmn says Treharne; Caroline's says Bevan; then it reverts to Treharne for Maud.
    Have you found any Treharnes on the Thomas side?

(some time later that same morning after losing all the windows I had open on the lap top . . . . . .)

I thought I'd try the Treharne surname, living in Pontypridd registration district, on the census.

1881, living in Llantrisant, census reference RG11/5298 folio 89 page 29.
    William Treharne,50, with wife Felish, and daughters Elizabeth A and Jenny, aged 3.
    1891, still living Llantrisant, census reference RG12/4417 folio 115 page 8.
    William B Treharn, 60, wife Felish B, daughters Elizabeth A, and Jane B, aged 13.

Death registration March quarter 1899, Pontypridd registration district, aged 72, William Bevan Treharne.

After this find, I think you just need to send for Jane's marriage certificate, and forget about the birth certificate of Maud and/or Minnie.

Pam

A fountain of knowledge

PAM I more than grateful to you for your further search and have made some progress thanks to your info.
    By the way sorry to hear about you losing your info but whilst I am hopeless at tech stuff I use Windows 7
    and have a refresh button in the top left corner which looks like an incomplete circle. Perhaps that might help.

Well I made a start looking at the info from the census trying to find births and mmn but should have
    read it through to the end where you found the 1899 Death for William Bevan Treharne.
    In the 1891 census you found he is a shoemaker. I found the death reg
    TREHARNE, WILLIAM BEVAN 72
    GRO Reference: 1899 M Quarter in PONTYPRIDD Volume 11A Page 303

and was hoping that there was Probate and indeed there is which is a great help.

Probate Bevan, William of Tonyrefail, Glamorgan. Shoemaker. Died 18th March 1899. Admin Llandaff 22nd April to PHILLIS BEVAN. Widow. Effects £979 19s 6d. FURTHER GRANT AUGUST 1901

Bevan, Phillis of High Street, Tonyrefail, Glamorgan. Widow. Died 17 August 1902. Admin Llandaff 25 March to JANE THOMAS (Wife of THOMAS THOMAS) Effects £280.

ie see my initial posting Thomas Powell Thomas married JANE BEVAN

BEVAN, PHYLLIS 59 GRO Reference: 1902 S Quarter in PONTYPRIDD Volume 11A Page 263
    ie born c1843

So now I am in a muddle as lost the plot! I can't work out Jane (bc1877) and Phillis' (bc1843) relationship.
    I can't find marriage of William Bevan/Treharne to Phyllis X. She might be Morgan as I looked for
    birth of Jenny who was three in the 1881 census and found
    TREHARNE, JENNY MORGAN
    GRO Reference: 1877 J Quarter in PONTYPRIDD Volume 11A Page 384
    ​ and Elizabeth Ann ​
    TREHARNE, ELIZABETH ANN MORGAN
    GRO Reference: 1874 S Quarter in PONTYPRIDD Volume 11A Page 379

​I don't have full access to previous census to give an idea of when William and Phyllis married.

Last but not least, then referring again to my initial posting I still can't work out who the three children
    are in the 1939 Register.

My head is spinning!

Famous for offering help & advice

Possible marraige.

William Bevan Treherne
    1873 Oct-Nov-Dec
    Pontypridd
    Glamorgan
    Volume: 11a
    Page: 609

On the same page is Phillis Morgan

A fountain of knowledge

PAMELAWAGSTER
    Thanks so much! Not sure how I missed that but I'm not very good at trying for different spellings.
    I should have gone to specsavers! great help - thanks.

Firstly, well done t'other Pamela for finding that marriage. 'Felish' makes perfect sense now.

I admit to being guilty of not checking for alternative surname spellings for William's marriage - though it was way past my bedtime when I was looking.

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    PAM I more than grateful to you for your further search and have made some progress thanks to your info.
    By the way sorry to hear about you losing your info but whilst I am hopeless at tech stuff I use Windows 7
    and have a refresh button in the top left corner which looks like an incomplete circle. Perhaps that might help.
    Nothing helps. The browser just shuts down. It's not the first time it's done it, and I supposedly have a new laptop on order but as my son's not yet asked me for my credit card details I'm assuming it's not yet ordered.

Well I made a start looking at the info from the census trying to find births and mmn but should have
    read it through to the end where you found the 1899 Death for William Bevan Treharne.
    In the 1891 census you found he is a shoemaker. I found the death reg
    TREHARNE, WILLIAM BEVAN 72
    GRO Reference: 1899 M Quarter in PONTYPRIDD Volume 11A Page 303

and was hoping that there was Probate and indeed there is which is a great help.

Probate Bevan, William of Tonyrefail, Glamorgan. Shoemaker. Died 18th March 1899. Admin Llandaff 22nd April to PHILLIS BEVAN. Widow. Effects £979 19s 6d. FURTHER GRANT AUGUST 1901

Bevan, Phillis of High Street, Tonyrefail, Glamorgan. Widow. Died 17 August 1902. Admin Llandaff 25 March to JANE THOMAS (Wife of THOMAS THOMAS) Effects £280.
    Told you it was past my bedtime - I never even thought of looking for probate.

ie see my initial posting Thomas Powell Thomas married JANE BEVAN

BEVAN, PHYLLIS 59 GRO Reference: 1902 S Quarter in PONTYPRIDD Volume 11A Page 263
    ie born c1843

So now I am in a muddle as lost the plot! I can't work out Jane (bc1877) and Phillis' (bc1843) relationship.
    I can't find marriage of William Bevan/Treharne to Phyllis X. She might be Morgan as I looked for
    birth of Jenny who was three in the 1881 census and found
    TREHARNE, JENNY MORGAN
    GRO Reference: 1877 J Quarter in PONTYPRIDD Volume 11A Page 384
    ​ and Elizabeth Ann ​
    TREHARNE, ELIZABETH ANN MORGAN
    GRO Reference: 1874 S Quarter in PONTYPRIDD Volume 11A Page 379

​I don't have full access to previous census to give an idea of when William and Phyllis married.
    Thanks to t'other Pamela, the birth registrations should make now sense.

Last but not least, then referring again to my initial posting I still can't work out who the three children
    are in the 1939 Register.

My head is spinning!
    They're three more children of Thomas and Jane. Two of them have Treharne as the mother's maiden name, same as Minnie and Maud. If you don't believe me, check them out next year when the 1921 census is released.

Pam

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast