Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Oops - sorry - PAM W posted the reference in 13) and I replied 17) it's under BEVAN.
    I'm trying to be methodical but jumping around with all these names. Apologies.

A fountain of knowledge

ALMA
    sORRY YOUR LAST POSTING 20) RICHARD JAMES WEARING crossed with my last posting. Thanks again - all info is more than welcome! I managed to find the Oz Military record but can't find Passenger list. I'm very interested in the Australian connection.
    Ref my initial posting I'd still welcome any help in trying to work out a link to the Thomas famiy ie re the Burial records. I can't access electoral registers but was told before I can't ask for help with those. I'm curious!

I can't access electoral registers
    All the electoral rolls have RJW living at "The Village" Llandaff and Barry Division, even up to 1932, and on each one he appears to be living alone.
    Alma

can't find Passenger list.
    I'm wondering about this, Gillian

James wearing, 28, departed 25 May 1907 from England, on the ship "Everton Grange", destination Sydney Australia. However, he's described as a labourer.
    Alma

I'm very interested in the Australian connection.
    I think (from memory) RJW's service papers mention him lodging with Lily May Turner. Lily May Turner married Joseph Garfield Wearing 1921, Canterbury, New South Wales. Joseph is RJW's brother. An online tree has these details for the marriage: 25 Oct 1921 Parish of Cleveland St Paul, Sydney,
    Alma

I can't access electoral registers but have been told he was at 53 Collenna Road
    Tonyrefail but I don't know if anyone else was there at that time.
    His address on the index to wills is 53, Collenna Rd. But, as I mentioned earlier in 1932 he was at "The Village"

In 1933 Thomas Anthony Thomas and Margaret Thomas were at 53, Collenna Rd.

I already have Margaret Thomas
    in the 1939 Reg with Thomas Anthony Powell (Daughter and of Son Thomas Powell and Jane) at 53 Collenna Road in 1939.
    I don't understand the above, Gillian, as Thomas Anthony Thomas and Margaret Thomas were at 53 Collenna Rd in 1939
    Last edited by almach; 26-10-2021 at 3:18 AM. Reason: added extra info
    Alma

I think this is William Bevan/Treharne in 1871. The original has difficult to read handwriting, the transcriber has done a very good job.

1871, Llantrisant, RG10 Piece:5381 Folio 78; Page 24.
    William Frek Bevan, 40 Head, master shoemaker employing 3 men. Llantrisant
    Elizabeth Bevan 66 Mother, Llantrisant
    John Davies, 65 Boarder, shoemaker. Llantrisant
    Elizabeth Watts, 12 Niece, Staffordshire
    Alma

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    I think this is William Bevan/Treharne in 1871. The original has difficult to read handwriting, the transcriber has done a very good job.

1871, Llantrisant, RG10 Piece:5381 Folio 78; Page 24.
    William Frek Bevan, 40 Head, master shoemaker employing 3 men. Llantrisant
    Elizabeth Bevan 66 Mother, Llantrisant
    John Davies, 65 Boarder, shoemaker. Llantrisant
    Elizabeth Watts, 12 Niece, Staffordshire
    Reckon you're right with that find, Alma.
    Though I would say that I think William's surname was meant to be Treherne/Treharne, but was badly written so the enumerator managed to mangle into something with Bevan at the end, so that William had the same surname as her mother. Look at the overall shape of the letters, compared to what the letters of Treharne make. Also compare the T of Tonyrefail in the street address column at the top of the page to the first letter of William's surname. Then compare the F of 'formerly laundress' in the occupation column about seven lines above. First letter of William's surname (to my mind) is definitely a T.
    Giving it another thought I wonder if William gave his name as William Treharne Bevan. Wouldn't be surprised, the way he chops and changes!

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

And 1851, Ystradyfodwg, HO107; Piece: 2460; Folio: 582; Page: 16
    All born Llantrisant
    William Bevan 45, cordwainer,
    Elizabeth Bevan 45
    Jiny Bevan 10, dau
    Elizabeth Bevan 9, dau

1861, Llantrisant, RG9; Piece: 4043; Folio: 9; Page: 19
    William Treharne 56, shoemaker
    Elizabeth Treharne 56
    Jennet Treharne 20,
    William Watts 8, grandson, Llantrisant
    Elizabeth Watts 1, granddau, Tividale Stafford
    Jane Frances 19, visitor
    Jonathan Jones 44, lodger

Pam posted 1841 details at #16
    Alma

Giving it another thought I wonder if William gave his name as William Treharne Bevan. Wouldn't be surprised, the way he chops and changes!
    That's how I read it, Pam.
    Alma

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast