Thread: Newbie

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Smile Newbie

Hi folks. I am now interested in my ancestor's military careers.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    What you can find here will depend on what you are looking for - time periods, geography, that sort of thing. Have a look around our assorted forums, and when you're ready tell us about your search.
    If we don't have something (eg WW2 service records are only available from MOD as yet) we can hopefully tell you were to find it.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi. I have an ancestor, Thomas Oldfield, who married in the Isle of Man in 1784 while serving as a soldier in the 58th foot. I am looking for any way to access military records for this regiment at this time. Hope someone can help.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by cynmcf View Post
    Hi. I have an ancestor, Thomas Oldfield, who married in the Isle of Man in 1784 while serving as a soldier in the 58th foot. I am looking for any way to access military records for this regiment at this time. Hope someone can help.
    I don't have any military records but (you may already know) that Thomas and Isobel had at least 6 children. William was baptised in 1792 on the IOM so you know that Isobel still lived there at that time. Although I cannot find that the 58th was ever stationed on the IOM, although I think it may have changed from another number to become the 58th.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    I don't have any military records but (you may already know) that Thomas and Isobel had at least 6 children. William was baptised in 1792 on the IOM so you know that Isobel still lived there at that time. Although I cannot find that the 58th was ever stationed on the IOM, although I think it may have changed from another number to become the 58th.
    Thanks for the reply. I think you are correct that the 58th may have changed numbers.

Famous for offering help & advice

When & where was he born? That might help identify the correct service record

Starting to feel at home

I think you will find that the 58th Regiment became the 58th Rutlandshire Foot in 1782 and then amalgamated with the 48th and became the Northamptonshire Regiment in 1881. By 1960 they amalgamated with The Royal Lincolnshire Regiment and became the 2nd Battalion The Northamptonshire Regiment. They later 1964 became 2nd Battalion East Anglian( Duchess of Gloucester's Own) Regiment. By 1968 they were the 2nd Battalion Royal Anglian Regiment

Looking at the marriage record, it was definitely the 58th. Witness James Jenkins was admitted to pension 1786.

The 58th were in 'England' in 1784: https://www.
    regiments.org/deploy/uk/reg-inf/058-1.htm

There are also newspaper reports of several companies from the 58th being on the Isle of Man in 1786, so it's likely that at least one company was there in 1784