Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FATHER

If anyone would like to suggest a reliable professional , perhaps they should do it via a Personal Message?

Query - when I read the opening post early this morning it was signed off with the poster's initial and surname. This led me to one possible civil birth registration in 1941 which led to others.
    Looking at that opening post this evening it no longer shows initial and surname - simply the diminutive of forename. Or am I imagining this?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Famous for offering help & advice

Sure that was the case earlier. Thought it was just me.

Knowledgeable and helpful

It's on post 10

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Firstly, I have to apologise to gillie. And everyone else.

Please ignore all of my previous posts in this thread.

I am guilty of not reading the small print (as in 'minute detail') which lead me to miss an essential detail, but I also made assumptions. Yes, I know that I should know better, and I am off to park myself in the corner complete with hat for several days.

I will redeem myself slightly by suggesting gillie starts looking for a professional researcher through the Association of Genealogists & Researchers in Archives (AGRA) website. There's one lady who lives locally who might prove suitable.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    Sure that was the case earlier. Thought it was just me.
    Thanks for confirming the opening post concluded with initial + surname - before it appeared on post 6.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

The one thing that can prove your parentage, without the need for any documentation, is autosomal DNA testing.

The magic of Autosomal DNA matching is that it doesn't require the person you believe to be your father to have had his own DNA tested. You merely need to build a fairly comprehensive family tree for the man you believe to be your father and once you have been DNA tested (preferably with the company which has the largest database and a good platform for you to build your family tree on, you (or a Search Angel) will be able to analyse your DNA results to see if you have cousin matches, with cM's in the appropriate level of relatedness, to people who are distant relatives (eg 2nd to 4th cousins) of your legal sister's husband.

Thousands of people have proved their paternity this way through autosomal DNA, which unlike people and documents, simply doesn't lie.

I was able to find my own biological father's identity this way and also did so for a second cousin who was only recently told that her biological father was an American serviceman.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Deeny

Knowledgeable and helpful

I was going to make the same suggestion as Deeny but I'm guessing that gillie doesn't have much in the way of a family tree to associate with a test. It is also worth pointing out that DNA test results can reveal family secrets (or even personal genetic issues that the family don't even know about) that can be hard to hear and bear. So before going down that route always be sure that you are prepared to learn things that can turn out to be very emotional and upsetting. They can of course also be very helpful.
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12