Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Knowledgeable and helpful

The 1901 Irish census has about 77 Stranaghans in Co Down. Many of them lived around Drumgooland as your researcher said. Notably in Moneyslane and Deehommed which are both immediately beside Cloughskelt.

https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/
    ELWYN

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Elwyn Soutter View Post
    12 McCullys from Closkelt (Cloughskelt) signed the 1912 Ulster Covenant. So that tells you about their political views on Home Rule in Ireland. (They were against it). You can see their signatures on the Ulster Covenant site.

https://apps.proni.gov.uk/ulstercove...chResults.aspx

Staunch Ulster Scots evidently.
    Elwyn, I looked at the Ulster Covenant information, and found 147 McCully (w/o considering the variants to the surname), and see those from Closkelt. It is interesting that their actual signatures can be viewed, too.

What puzzles me is those who have a recorded affiliation with Scotland - (I thought I could paste or attach an image from my computer here). There are several, but with the PRONI website I could not search and have them all grouped. I think there were 11 that I saw.

Here is one -

Surname Forenames Address Division
    McCully George Market Street Armagh Scotland:
    Lanarkshire: North East

District Place of Signing Agent
    Motherwell Motherwell Agnew, Thomas

Another of these (Joseph McCully) has an Address
    Castleblayney Co Monaghan, Division Scotland: Lanarkshire: North East with the District Lanarkshire - the Place of Signing is Masonic Hall which I assumed was actually in Lanarkshire.

Would the Covenant signatures have been collected outside of Northern Ireland, in the south or in other parts of the UK?

Huge numbers of people from Northern Ireland went to Scotland to work (as indeed they still do). Consequently there was massive interest in the Home Rule debate there and Protestants in Scotland organized locations at which they could sign the petition. Yes there were signatures from what is now the Republic of Ireland (try searching under “Monaghan” or “Donegal” for example) and elsewhere. Some signed in Liverpool and some signed in Toronto, Canada. Anywhere there would have been a significant protestant Irish born population really.

Some are supposed to have signed the Covenant in their own blood, though I suspect that may just be one of those tales.
    ELWYN

Starting to feel at home

Interesting to know the background.
    A taxi driver who in 2016 gave us an informative tour of the Shankill Road area of Belfast had the view that (his experience, and his father's) that the dominant issue of "the troubles" was affinity with the UK vs Republic of Ireland, not so much religious denomination.
    An opinion only, of course.

Indeed. Your religious upbringing was usually the starting point for deciding which side of the fence that you were on, certainly in the early 1900s. Nowadays though there are many people who are not religious at all (and something like 15% of the current population were not even born in Ireland) and these mostly have views on the matter, and it clearly isn’t based on their religious denomination. The bottom line is that at present there is a still a huge percentage of the population of Northern Ireland, including a surprising number of Catholics, who prefer being part of the UK than the Republic of Ireland. (Their reasons are many. We could start with free healthcare in NI and the rest of the UK, and move on from there).
    ELWYN

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12