Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Mary Ann Eliza DARVELL a very thick Brickwall

Hello sleuths, I'm hoping someone may be able to help.
    I have been trying to find my g.g.aunt Mary Ann Eliza DARVELL after her marriage to Thomas Francis BERNASCONI. She was born 21 Nov 1855 St. Andrews, Holborn - her birth index: Jan qtr 1856 Holborn 1b 455

They married on 26th Dec 1880 in St. Pauls Church, Clerkenwell, Islington, London - I have their marriage cert. Both of full age. He a Glass fitter. Both give address as: Lever St. His father John BERNASCONI occ: Picture Frame Maker

The DARVELL line is my interest and I have most information that's "out there" and most birth/marriage/deaths certs. on this line. - It's the BERNASCONI line that has me stumped!!

I managed to find them on the 1881 census (RG11 359 44 37) mis-transcribed as: Thomas and Marian E. BERNANON, living at 34 Noble Street, St. Lukes, Finsbury, London - the same house as Mary READ & family.
    Thomas' occupation: Looking Glass Fitter - P.O.B states Dublin - but I have his Baptism record, he was Baptised on 16th Nov 1852 in Wexford, County Wexford, Ireland
    Mary Ann Eliza DARVELL P.O.B states St. Andrews, Holborn which is correct.

I can find no children born to this couple, I've tried the GRO historical indexes to try and determine a place of residency for them, with no luck at all.

I've pored through the 'many' BERNASCONIs on the Immigration & Travel lists, but nothing matches there either.

Interestingly, I can find NO mention of Thomas Francis BERNASCONI in any census' before his marriage to Mary Ann Eliza DARVELL.

HELP!! please
    Amora2
    Last edited by Amora2; 15-10-2021 at 3:17 PM. Reason: additional information

Super Moderator

You have probably seen the baptism for Mary Ann Eliza DARVILL on 8th December 1857 St. Andrew, Holborn to Thomas and Betsey. Address at time was 6 Beauchamp Street and Thomas was a Trunk Maker.

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    You have probably seen the baptism for Mary Ann Eliza DARVILL on 8th December 1857 St. Andrew, Holborn to Thomas and Betsey. Address at time was 6 Beauchamp Street and Thomas was a Trunk Maker.
    Many thanks for taking a look suemalings - yes thankyou, I have this information, her brother George Thomas, baptised at the same time, is my g.g. grandfather.

I have all info. about Mary Ann Eliza up to & including the 1881 census.
    I just cannot fathom where Mary Ann Eliza & husband Thomas Francis BERNASCONI disappeared to ???
    I've been searching for them, on & off, for the past 15 years!! I've been hoping that new records coming online would 'unearth' them. So would really love to finally find them.

Amora2

Oddly. I came across another Bernasconi/Barnasconi family they too are elusive. There are marriages, and birth registrations for children also some of the children's marriages and (from memory) 1911 census for at least one child but nothing before.

Here are some of the details though I'm not sure they help your search.
    Marriages Mar 1874,
    Barnasconi John Strand 1b 643
    MAYNARD Sarah Strand 1b 643

BARNASCONI, THOMAS ANDREW MAYWARD
    GRO Reference: 1877 J Quarter in ST. GILES Volume 01B Page 613

BARNASCONI, EDITH MAYNARD
    GRO Reference: 1882 D Quarter in ST GILES Volume 01B Page 652

BARNASCONI, LOUISA MAYNARD
    GRO Reference: 1880 M Quarter in ST GILES Volume 01B Page 682

BARNASCONI, ALBERT MAYNARD
    GRO Reference: 1887 S Quarter in PANCRAS Volume 01B Page 52

The marriages for some of the children are on Ancestry but I've had no luck finding any of the family on censuses before 1911

ETA: There's also a dau Violet who I've found a marriage for but not a birth reg.
    Alma

Freeman's Journal, 29 March 1886
    Deaths

Bernasconi - Mar 26, 1886, at the Hospice, Harold's Cross, Thomas Bernasconi, aged 32 RIP

Worth checking out?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

The Civil death record of the above "Thomas Bernasconi??" can be viewed on Irish Genealogy. However, don't search for "Bernasconi" - try "Thomas Barnacross"!!!

Why is nothing simple?

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Freeman's Journal, 29 March 1886
    Deaths

Bernasconi - Mar 26, 1886, at the Hospice, Harold's Cross, Thomas Bernasconi, aged 32 RIP

Worth checking out?
    Hi helachau, oh my yes, definitely worth checking out - fingers crossed, I'll keep you posted!!

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    The Civil death record of the above "Thomas Bernasconi??" can be viewed on Irish Genealogy. However, don't search for "Bernasconi" - try "Thomas Barnacross"!!!

Why is nothing simple?
    Thanks for the heads up on the name spelling, again, thankyou - Lets see where it leads !!

If you haven't used Irishgenealogy before, it requires registering FREE before you can start searching.

Famous for offering help & advice

He was buried at Glasnevin cemetery as Thomas BARNASCONI.

Although his death cert says he was a widower, the only other *sconi burials I can see within the relevant timeframe are Mary in 1873 aged 2, and John in 1893 aged 24.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast