Starting to feel at home

Default McCully + McEwan in Dalmellington and Benquat

I have some only-partially substantiated information about direct relatives James McCully and Jane McEwan who married in Dalmellington, Ayr in November 1875. I was given information that their first child Elizabeth McEwen McCully was born there in 1876 and that she died in 1909 at Old Kilpatrick/Dumbarton aged 33 - I think she had married that same year.

The father, James, I believe came from Co. Down, Ireland - possibly Drumgooland, Banbridge. He died in 1901 in Glasgow (White Inch).
    The story I was told is that James and Jane were neighbours in the hilltop township of Benquat - James was working in the iron or coal mines, and Jane living with her parents David McEwan and Elizabeth BROWN. Jane was born in Cairnryan, Wigtownshire.
    Birth year of both James and Jane supposedly 1855.

It seems that their (many) children were born mainly in the Glasgow suburbs and in Dalmellington. Second child Alexander born 1878 in Govan, third child David McEwan in 1880 in Dalmellington.

It would be very helpful for suggestions - I have looked at Census and ScotlandsPeople, but don't have newspaper access (which might be helpful?).

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I'm sure that Lesley, our Scottish expert, is furiously typing out a reply regarding BMD certificates and census entries on Scotlands People while I'm typing out these few words, but I'm curious as to what information you think you might find in newspapers. Usually the only times the common folk were mentioned in newspapers back in those days were when they died, committed a crime, or possibly married. Death and marriage details were mostly limited to the briefest of details, e.g. John Smith of Glasgow died yesterday.
    You can register with the British Newspaper Archive and search for free, only paying if you see an entry which might relate to your relatives.
    https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by westernwombat View Post
    I have some only-partially substantiated information about direct relatives James McCully and Jane McEwan who married in Dalmellington, Ayr in November 1875. I was given information that their first child Elizabeth McEwen McCully was born there in 1876 and that she died in 1909 at Old Kilpatrick/Dumbarton aged 33 - I think she had married that same year.

The father, James, I believe came from Co. Down, Ireland - possibly Drumgooland, Banbridge. He died in 1901 in Glasgow (White Inch).
    The story I was told is that James and Jane were neighbours in the hilltop township of Benquat - James was working in the iron or coal mines, and Jane living with her parents David McEwan and Elizabeth BROWN. Jane was born in Cairnryan, Wigtownshire.
    Birth year of both James and Jane supposedly 1855.

It seems that their (many) children were born mainly in the Glasgow suburbs and in Dalmellington. Second child Alexander born 1878 in Govan, third child David McEwan in 1880 in Dalmellington.

It would be very helpful for suggestions - I have looked at Census and ScotlandsPeople, but don't have newspaper access (which might be helpful?).
    Daughter Elizabeth's marriage and death details confirmed on Scotlands People. She married George Carnegie. You will have to buy the certificates for more information.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

You didn't see the "Gone to lunch" sign on my keyboard, Pam?

If you look at the top of the General Scottish section HERE, you will find a collection of posts about assorted sources for scottish searching, and how to get the best from them. The newspapers are most use when you want more info about someone, especially as they're available on subscription services.
    I do many of my preliminary searches on the LDS site, FamilySearch.org. Thanks to a deal they made with the Scottish Records people a long time ago (when we were still using micro-fiche) they were allowed to scan Church of Scotland parish registers plus BMDs up to 1875, and they've since separated these records from those submitted by their members, so it's often a quick way to get lists of children, etc. Don't forget that many Kirk entries before BMDs began in Scotland manot include the name of the mother, spending on the whim of the Minister.

BTW 1855 BMD certificates in Scotland are jackpot finds - it was the first year that Scotland did them and they contain more info than any other year.

The 1891 census shows 7 children born to James and Jane McCully and still living with them in Govan. All kids born Govan:
    Alexander 13
    David 10
    Thomas 8
    Margaret 8
    Agnes 6
    Susan 2
    Jane 6 mths

Also Elizabeth, shown by Ancestry as 48 and dau. She can be James sister or much younger! Presumably the first child that Pam found the marriage for.
    Oddly, it says James was a cook. Anc only has transcripts, to see the actual census forms for Scotland, that means using Scotlands People and paying for the download which I'm not going to do. In 1881 he was an ironstone miner.

In the 1901 census, Jane also has James, Joseph and John aged 8, 6, 1.
    Jane the mother is head of household, so you could start looking for a death for her husband between John's conception and the census day. Scotlands People have what's probably him d. 1901 Partick, aged 46. Again, I can get no further without paying for the download.