Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macdonald query

Default Macdonald query

I'm doing okayish on my family tree except for the Macdonald side which is frustrating. My Nanna's name was Hannah Macdonald and she was born on the 26th November 1904 in India, I don't know where her birth certificate is but I know my great grandparents were called John and Hannah, and, Hannah's maiden name Jacob. This where I'm having problems as I'm not sure if they were married in Inverness where I believe they came from or London. I can't ask family members as the ones who would have known have passed on. I don't know their dates of births either. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Pippa1961; 12-10-2021 at 5:03 PM. Reason: missed out not knowing dates of births

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I didn't have any luck searching for a Hannah Jacob marriage on Scotlands People, so I tried FreeBMD, and found a Hannah Jacob and a John MacDonald on the same page in June quarter 1903, Hackney registration district.
    Entry in parish register is in Ancestry's London, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1936 dataset.
    John 30 and an engineer, Hannah 28.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

In the 1901 census, there's a Hannah Jacob, aged 26, listed as step-daughter of Henry Kennett. Census reference RG13/207 folio 26 page 44, Hackney registration district. Hannah born in Hoxton.

One of the witnesses at Hannah's wedding was a [Flora?] Kennett.

Then it begins to get interesting/complicated - take your pick!

I was looking for a marriage between a Henry Kennett and a Hannah - presumed Jacob, mother of Hannah-who-married-in-1903.

The only Kennett/Jacob marriage I could find was Henry and Charlotte Esther Jacob in 1889. (Marriage also on Ancestry's London marriages dataset.)
    This Henry is too young to be the Henry in the 1901 census entry, but he has the same job as the older Henry, while Charlotte's father has the same name as Hannah's though a slightly different job.

Think this is the Jacob family in 1871. Census reference RG10/451 folio 65 page 17.

And in 1881. Charlotte is on the same page but living a couple of doors away from her mum and siblings.
    Census reference RG11/375 folio 116 page 11.
    Death registration for father William Christopher Jacob, March quarter 1881, aged 38.

Gotta go, food is now ready. (Priorities! )

First, a very warm welcome to Brit-gen

FindMy Past has the baptism (image) of -

Howrah Presbyterian Church
    Baptised 21 Jan 1906, born 26 Nov 1905, Hannah, parents John and Hannah Macdonald, abode Clive Jute Mill, 43 Garden Road, Calcutta, father's occupation Engineer
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Famous for offering help & advice

FMP has an image of the Baptism for Hannah MacDonald.

Baptised 21st January 1906
    ‘Said to be born’ 26th November 1905.
    Howrah,Bengal

Father John MacDonald - Engineer
    Mother Hannah MacDonald

Address
    Clive jute mill
    43 Gordan Road
    Calcutta

1911 Hannah MacDonald is in Haringey with her mother Hannah and a brother Donald MacDonald age 2

Also with them are
    Hannah Kennet - mother 64 - widow
    Frank Kennet - brother 26- single
    Alice Pritchard - visitor 53- married

16 Chesterfield Gardens,Haringey.

Marraige .

Hannah Jacob - widow - 38
    [Hannah Byron]
    Marriage Date: 4 Aug 1884
    St Bride Holy Tinity, Gough Square, City of London, England
    Father: John Byron
    Spouse: Henry Kennett- widower -55 - Porter
    Father: Daniel Kennett

Address for both - 6 Goldsmith Row.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    Marraige .

Hannah Jacob - widow - 38
    [Hannah Byron]
    Marriage Date: 4 Aug 1884
    St Bride Holy Tinity, Gough Square, City of London, England
    Father: John Byron
    Spouse: Henry Kennett- widower -55 - Porter
    Father: Daniel Kennett

Address for both - 6 Goldsmith Row.
    Wondered how you managed to find the marriage so easily (though I admit I just had a brief look). Indexed by the GRO, and therefore indexed on FreeBMD, as Jacobs.
    PR clearly says Jacob. I have added a postem on FreeBMD.

Thanks for the replies, they do help and I have remembered extra information. The family came back to England when my Nanna was about 9 - could have been before that as she had two brothers, Donald and Hector. One was born in London which ties in with info given and the other was born in South Wales and I know they grew up in Penarth and my Nanna married my grandfather(he died a year before I was born. I am hoping to join up with Ancestry soon as I did have access via a relative a number of years ago but they let their membership lapse.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    1911 Hannah MacDonald is in Haringey with her mother Hannah and a brother Donald MacDonald age 2

Also with them are
    Hannah Kennet - mother 64 - widow
    Frank Kennet - brother 26- single
    Alice Pritchard - visitor 53- married

16 Chesterfield Gardens,Haringey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippa1961 View Post
    Thanks for the replies, they do help and I have remembered extra information. The family came back to England when my Nanna was about 9 - could have been before that as she had two brothers, Donald and Hector. One was born in London which ties in with info given and the other was born in South Wales and I know they grew up in Penarth and my Nanna married my grandfather(he died a year before I was born. I am hoping to join up with Ancestry soon as I did have access via a relative a number of years ago but they let their membership lapse.
    Birth registrations
    Donald, June quarter 1909, Hackney registration district, mother's maiden name Jacob.
    Hector John, December quarter 1917, Cardiff registration district, mother's maiden name Jacob.

1939 shows Hannah, birthdate 26 Mar 1875, and Donald, birthdate 4 Mar 1909,living in Cardiff.

Death registration Hannah Macdonald, December quarter 1960, Cardiff registration district, aged 85.
    Death registration Donald Macdonald, June quarter 2006, Cardiff registration district.

Your local library service may give you free access to what is known as the 'library version' of Ancestry and/or Findmypast. Often you can access the site(s) at home, though sometimes you can only do so in a library.
    Library versions don't have all the records that are available if you have a paid subscription. If you don't need continual access to either site, you could always join for the odd month.

Pam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast