Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default THOMAS - Dorothy, d. 1978 Shropshire

Dorothy THOMAS b 28 Jan 1892 Ellesmere, Shropshire
    I was given information that she died unmarried in Feb 1978, in Oswestry Hospital, and was cremated at Wrexham Crematorium

I can't validate that via Ancestry records and don't have access to newspaper archives.

Her parents were Walter THOMAS 1858-1938 and Margaret Jane JONES 1856-1910, born-lived-died mainly in Ellesmere, but mother Margaret was born in Selattyn, Shropshire.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I cannot see a death registration that matches your information. I've looked at 1978 +/- 2 years.

You could contact the crematorium to see if they could help. https://www.remembranceonline.co.uk/...ium/?pagenum=2

Quote Originally Posted by westernwombat View Post
    Dorothy THOMAS b 28 Jan 1892 Ellesmere, Shropshire
    I was given information that she died unmarried in Feb 1978, in Oswestry Hospital, and was cremated at Wrexham Crematorium

I can't validate that via Ancestry records and don't have access to newspaper archives.

Her parents were Walter THOMAS 1858-1938 and Margaret Jane JONES 1856-1910, born-lived-died mainly in Ellesmere, but mother Margaret was born in Selattyn, Shropshire.
    How certain are you that the information is accurate?

There's a possible marriage on Ancestry's " London, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1936"

Dorothy Thomas 28, married 18th Dec 1921 at St Dionis, Parsons Green, Hammersmith and Fulham, her father named Walter a joiner.
    The groom: Ernest Beaton, 26, carriage trimmer, father Thomas (dec) blacksmith
    Dorothy living 15 St M???? Road. Ernest of Oswestry.
    A witness was Olive May Thomas.

A corresponding death

Mar 1978
    BEATON DOROTHY, born 25 Jan 1892 OSWESTRY 30 185

P.S. I've just noticed you are new to British Genealogy forums, I wish you happy hunting here where our members are very helpful.
    Alma

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

How accurate is your information about Dorothy's birthdate and year? (i.e. is it from her birth certificate, or just a date passed down in the family>)
    There's no Dorothy Thomas born 28 January 1892 +/- 2 years in the 1939 Register though there are sixty-four Dorothy's born on that date between 1890-1894.
    You could try eliminating the married ones born in 1892 first, to see if any of them had the maiden name of Thomas, and then work your way through the ones in the other years.

There is a death registration for a Dorothy Beaton, birthdate 25 January 1892, Oswestry registration district, March quarter 1978. But there's no Dorothy Beaton born either 25 or 28 January 1890-1895 in the 1939 Register.

I have found a Dorothy Thomas born 25 January 1893 living in Ealing in the 1939 Register. She's single, and has had initial R added to her record in green ink, which means that her death cartificate recorded her with a middle name. Unfortunately there's no death year given, so that's not a lot of help.

Pam
    whose post is a little superfluous after Alma's find.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

1939 Register
    Living in Oswestry.
    Ernest Beaton, born 26 December 1895, occupation Railway carriage something
    Dorothy Beaton, born 26 January 1892, unpaid domestic duties.

Death registration for Ernest, September quarter 1972, Oswestry registration district.
    He died 18 July 1972, date of death is in probate calendar. Living at same address as in 1939.

Dorothy died 4 February 1978. Still living at same address as in 1939. She also left a will.
    https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Dorothy (26th Jan 1892) and Ernest (26th Dec 1895) are in Oswestry in the 1939 register.
    Alma

From Ancestry's "England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1995"

Dorothy Beaton of Claremont 3, Vyrnwy Rd, Oswestry. Died 4th Feb 1978, Probate Llandaff 27th Feb, £16574
    Alma

Famous for offering help & advice

1901 census Walter & Margaret Thomas are in Sandy Lane Eelesmere with a bunch of children which include a Dorothy and and Olive M ( transcribed as Oliver.)

Olive May Thomas was a witness on the marraige posted by Almach #3

1911 they are at Mereside,Ellesmere.

Dorothy Thomas in Ellesmere 1911 is a dressmaker same occupation on marraige cert!

Famous for offering help & advice

Just to add there’s a Findagrave entry for Dorothy Beaton that corresponds with the death Alma found. Burial at Oswestry Cemetary.

Starting to feel at home

Thanks to all - I haven't yet digested all of the responses, but I had wondered about BEATON some time ago. The witness Olive May Thomas is probably her sister, for whom I have only Olive M. THOMAS b. 1894, parents Walter THOMAS and Margaret Jane JONES.
    I have checked all of the UK Census up to the 1911, and also the 1939 Registers.
    I had thought that Olive might have married an Edward ROBERTS - but so far have scant evidence.

I will check out all information tomorrow (7:40PM Monhere in Australia).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast