Thread: Hello

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hello

hi everyone,
    I am trying to find out more about my great great grandfather Thomas Margree born 1834 died 1914, when he died he was buried with full military honours on a gun carriage which had a photo in the Norwich mercury march 4th 1914.
    what i am trying to find out is why? and what the honours were for, i know he was a wheeler in the horse brigade, royal artillary, service number 4460

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Claire View Post
    hi everyone,
    I am trying to find out more about my great great grandfather Thomas Margree born 1834 died 1914, when he died he was buried with full military honours on a gun carriage which had a photo in the Norwich mercury march 4th 1914.
    what i am trying to find out is why? and what the honours were for, i know he was a wheeler in the horse brigade, royal artillary, service number 4460
    Did he marry an Elizabeth and have children: Elizabeth, Alice and Thomas H?

According to the Globe of Sat 11 April, 1857, a driver called Thomas Margree of the Royal Artillery is mentioned as having served with gallantry at Alma and Inkermann (Crimea, I think).
    The Kentish Independent of Sat 18 April 1857 and Morning Post of 14 Apr 1857 report that Gunner and Driver Thomas Margree showed zeal and attention to his duties and great coolness under fire.

Obviously, it needs checking, but it's an unusual spelling of his surname, and the same regiment so it seems likely that it's probably him, Mentioned in Dispatches. The service number for the Crimea medal seems to be x314 where x is illegible, but they changed numbers if the changed units.

PS I have just noticed that this was your first post. Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi yes he did marry elizabeth jane, and 3 children were elizabeth lydia, alice jane and thomas henry who died in 1914 the same year as his father thomas

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default thomas margree

Hi Lesley, Thankyou that is great, it does sound like it could be the same Thomas Margree it is quite an unusual name, i will check it out thanks

Famous for offering help & advice

A very warm welcome to Brit-gen.
    It's some photo in the Norwich Mercury - impressive!
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default thomas margree

Thanks jomot1 i did also find in the 1861 worldwide army census where his duty locations were,
    i recently came into possesion of a lot of really old photos which were my grandmothers which i never realised she had! none named unfortunatly and i expect one could possibly be him but doubt we will ever know now,
    thanks helachau yes quite an impressive photo, my great grandmother was sent an original copy of the cutting but unfortunatly its disintegrating in an envelope but we was able to get enough info to get a copy thankfully