Thread: Hi all

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hi all

I have been trying to prove our family connection to the [president] George Washington family in the UK for a number of years now. I have only been using Ancestry where all information is, as we probably all know, not 100% confirmed. I have managed to get back to mid 18th century but still not managed to connect to the well documented Washington/Wessington family. I'll keep at it and hope somebody here may be already researching the same area and may be able to help, I'll check out the various boards and hope to meet up with others along the way.
    Regards
    Billy

Welcome in, Billy. Have a look round, choose somewhere suitable and tell us a bit about your current targets.
    It sounds as though you are really stuck, so perhaps a change in approach would help. In your place, I would put the president’s people to one side for the moment, and go back to the oldest people for whom you have concrete data and, as an experiment, see if you can find alternative ancestors for them. Sometimes this sort of approach throws up useful clues, or usefully eliminates candidates.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi LEslay, thanks for your reply and suggestions on how to proceed. I'll have a look around and also as you suggest try alternative ancestor names. Thanks Billy

Super Moderator

Hello - I am not related and I am sure you already know that George Washington's (President)great grandfather emigrated from Northamptonshire in 1656, so I suppose you will need to look back that far to begin with to see if you can find any relatives of the GGF. A member of my family emigrated to the USA then returned to England which his son whose first and middle names were George Washington...

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Sue, yes I've already seen probably all there is to view on the Washington family to the 1500s and the Lord Lawrence and his descendants who emigrated to USA. That is all very well documented because of the president's connection. It is around that period forward in time for the other remaining families in the UK who are not so easy to connect. From Lord Robert Washington 16th century forward. So it is around that time I am trying to work back to with my own family connections (on Ancestry) which are ambiguous. Still not has a good look around here yet. Thanks for your reply, Billy