Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Question Joseph Thompson & Mary Ann Cain/Kane

Hi All,

Im struggling to get past my great grandparents....

It took me a long time to track these two down as my grandads parents, as very little is know of my Thompson side, i even traced the wrong family for years before DNA testing!
    I apologise if my research is wrong but i believe it to be correct!

Mary Ann Cain/Kane and Joseph Thompson have their first son Joseph in 1905, they then get married in 1908 in Newcastle.

1911 census Joseph snr a miner and young Joseph can be found in Seghill boarding at the Old Institute. Showing as married.

Whilst Mary is recorded in Tynemouth workhouse as a patient, under the name Mary Thompson but showing as single and a school char woman.

In 1914 the have their first daughter Mary Jane.
    In the same year young Joseph is sent to Industrial school from Buddle primary in Wallsend. Young Mary Jane is raised by a relative on the Cain side of the family a Catherine Pearson.

After this the records come up blank. What happened to Joseph and Mary to not be with their children and seem to disappear..

Mary Jane Married a John Weatherstone Went.
    Joseph Married Eliza Jane Alderson.(my Grandparents)

Any pointers, tips, advise would be amazing!

Lisa Thompson (Their great Granddaughter)

Famous for offering help & advice

It might be helpful if you added some dates & places, ie when & where was everyone born, and when & where did the children marry?

Also how have you confirmed the information that Joseph Jr was at an industrial school and that Mary Jane was raised by Catherine Pearson?

It's very difficult for us to help unless we have the same information that you do, to give us a 'starting point'.

1911 Joseph Thompson c1873 born Gateshead & Joseph Thompson c 1905 born So Shields are boarding with Joseph Parry & family in Seghill.

RG14PN30808 RG78PN1760 RD559 SD4 ED14 SN63

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

Joseph Thompson and Mary Ann Cain married reg district Newcastle T. March 1/4 1908 vol 10b page 196. Do you have this marriage certificate for them. If so what are the father's names and occupations?

GRO index birth reg Joseph Thompson registered Tynemouth June 1/4 vol10b page245. Mother's maiden name Cain
    Be aware there is also a Joseph Thompson birth registered September 1/4 reg dist Ecclesall Bierlow 9c/368 with the mmn Cain.

Joseph snr is a coal miner (hewer) in 1911 and in 1901 there is a Joseph Thompson age 28, coal miner (hewer) born Sheild Row Durham, He is single and boarding with the Parry family at 1,Short Terrace Thornley Durham. Bt there are other contenders so the marriage certificate is needed to see if a father's name is on there.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    in 1901 there is a Joseph Thompson age 28, coal miner (hewer) born Sheild Row Durham, He is single and boarding with the Parry family at 1,Short Terrace Thornley Durham.
    Christina, I think you meant the LUKE family in 1901.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Christina, I think you meant the LUKE family in 1901.
    Yes I did. Thanks for picking up on that. I really should give up trying to multi task.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi thanks for your replies. I have the marriage cert of Joseph and Mary, Josephs father is also Joseph and Mary's father is William.

I know Mary Jane was brought up by a relative as I have spoke to her Grandaughter who was able to advise who it was that raised her.

I managed to find a record which included my grandads date of birth, it was a month out. This was him being sent to Industrial School from Buddle school in wallsend.states fathers name as Joseph Thompson.

I also have a possible 2nd Marriage for Joseph snr to a Lillian Kennedy in 1923 North Shields, not sure how accurate this one is tho.

Thanks, Lisa

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa82uk View Post
    Hi thanks for your replies. I have the marriage cert of Joseph and Mary, Josephs father is also Joseph and Mary's father is William.
    Sorry Joseph father is John a coal miner and Mary's father is William a carts man.
    They were married at St Mary's Catholic Church in West Clayton Street Newcastle.

They both lived in Blandford Street 75 and 83.

Some possible records, though I'd have more confidence in them could I find the 1891 census where hopefully Mary Ann born 1883/4 is with the family.

Mary Ann Cain Baptism 26 Nov 1884 St. Nicholas, Newcastle-upon-Tyne
    Father: William Cain Mother: Mary Ann

1881, 78 Pitt St, Newcastle RG11; Piece: 5047; Folio: 143; Page: 14;
    John Cain 40, mason, Ireland
    Mary A. Cain 40, Belford, Northumberland
    William Cain 18, cartman, Newcastle
    Margaret A. Cain 11, Newcastle
    John Cain 7, Newcastle
    Robert Cain 4, Newcastle
    Samuel Cain 33, Ireland
    Bridget Cain 11, Newcastle

1901, Westgate Newcastle RG13; Piece: 4766; Folio: 112; Page: 46