Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    I don't think it's one that's available to download - probably worth double-checking before you buy the credits.

Let us know how you get on with contacting the records centre - we can only live in hope that they'll be more helpful than expected!
    Just had a look. I can purchase it online didn't go any further so not sure if they email it to you once you pay. Will see what Olive wants to do as it is her that is paying.
    Cheers
    Sue

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by SuzieGee View Post
    her Hugh McDevitt signed on in Glasgow 14 Jun 1940.
    Interesting going through that RAF service numbers list. Nowhere does it show any for Glasgow. There are a few for Edinburgh the first batch I can see starts in Aug. 1940 yet she has an exact date.
    Not sure what to make of that just thought I would share that with you.
    Per my reply #20, men would 'sign up' at their local recruiting office - Glasgow in Hugh's case - but would then be sent elsewhere for selection (in this case Padgate), where he would have been allocated his service number & then training. As the local offices didn't control selection, they aren't shown on the list. The creation of a selection board at Edinburgh is discussed in parliament here: https://api.parliament.uk/historic-h...oard-edinburgh

But if the lady in Canada has something as precise as a date, does she also have his service number? If she does and it matches, then surely you have your answer as to whether its the same man?

Re ordering the birth certificate, yes, you can order it online, but you need to pay for it with a credit/debit card, not the site credits.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Per my reply #20, men would 'sign up' at their local recruiting office - Glasgow in Hugh's case - but would then be sent elsewhere for selection (in this case Padgate), where he would have been allocated his service number & then training. As the local offices didn't control selection, they aren't shown on the list. The creation of a selection board at Edinburgh is discussed in parliament here: https://api.parliament.uk/historic-h...oard-edinburgh

But if the lady in Canada has something as precise as a date, does she also have his service number? If she does and it matches, then surely you have your answer as to whether its the same man?

Re ordering the birth certificate, yes, you can order it online, but you need to pay for it with a credit/debit card, not the site credits.
    She hasn't sent me her fathers service number. I assume she would know it. She knows the service number we have. Your explanation as to how he could end up with a number that relates to Padgate does explain a lot.
    Cheers
    Sue

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345