Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

One other thing I forgot to mention was my friend was told that Hugh was a rear gunner. On the Forces War records site it mentions Hugh was a class F reservist. I did read that reservist did fly so would have to assume he did do sorties.
    I also wonder if he was always based at Padgate. He obviously visited the mother in 1945 nine months before the second daughter is born. Though he may have been based at another airfield and had leave. So can only assume once again.
    Hopefully I may a little more this afternoon.

RAF Padgate was the home of No 3 Recruit Centre. He would have enlisted there and undergone basic training such as learning how to march properly and how to use a rifle etc. He would not have been there too long before he would moved on to other RAF stations for more specific training. Once that was completed he would have been allocated to an operational squadron.

For the avoidance of doubt note that a death certificate is NOT required to obtain service records if the death happened during service with the RAF. All you have to do then is to find out more about the claim that he was "shot down". That seems very specific and it would seem that you have to go back and pin down who said that and when.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by SuzieGee View Post
    The other record that was found was a Hugh McDevitt leaving England 1952 for Canada, his occupation was a aircraft engineer, lived Glasgow aged 30. He is a possible if Hugh was not actually killed.
    Not sure if it will help, but the address on the 1952 passenger list was 7 Elliston Drive, Priest Hill, Glasgow, and on the electoral roll at that address in 1952 were the following (along with several other families):

Hugh McDevitt
    Isabella McDevitt
    Jenny McDevitt
    Mary McDevitt

By 1953 Isabella, Jenny (Jennie) & Mary were at No. 14

In 1950 all four were recorded as M'Devitt and were living at 142 Commercial Road, and in 1949 Hugh & Isabella were at No. 142, with Jennie & Mary at No. 145, again as M'Devitt.

I don't have time to check much further back, but in 1945 at 22 Commercial Road were Francis, Jennie & Mary McDevitt, but by 1947 this was Hugh, Jennie & Mary.

Firstly, I made some errors on my last post – I read the wrong column for the house number at Commercial Road, they should all have read No. 219

I had a few spare credits on Scotlands People so had a quick look at the 1946 death of Francis McDevitt, which seems to confirm some of the assumptions I’d already made:

Francis McDevitt, Electric Craneman, Married to Mary Carey
    Died 6 Jan 1946 at 219 Commercial Road, Glasgow, aged 61
    Parents: Bernard McDevitt, Locomotion Works Labourer (Deceased) & Bridget nee Ly??en (Deceased)
    Cause: Influenza Bronchitis 14 days, Myocardial Failure 1 day
    Informant: Hugh McDevitt, Son, Present.

Francis McDevitt m Mary Carey in 1905, Hutchesontown RD

I assume that these are the others on the electoral roll:
    MCDEVITT, HUGH 1921 Ref: 644/15 1231 Hutchesontown
    MCDEVITT, JENNIE STEELE 1924 Ref 644/15 32 Hutchesontown
    MCDEVITT, ISABELLA 1926 644/15 42 Hutchesontown

Hugh wasn’t there in 1945 but was for the 1947 electoral roll (and the 1946 death), which would tie up with him being in the military during WW2.

it doesn't necessarily make him 'your' Hugh but perhaps gets you a little bit closer, even if it just helps rule him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest47 View Post
    RAF Padgate was the home of No 3 Recruit Centre. He would have enlisted there and undergone basic training such as learning how to march properly and how to use a rifle etc. He would not have been there too long before he would moved on to other RAF stations for more specific training. Once that was completed he would have been allocated to an operational squadron.

For the avoidance of doubt note that a death certificate is NOT required to obtain service records if the death happened during service with the RAF. All you have to do then is to find out more about the claim that he was "shot down". That seems very specific and it would seem that you have to go back and pin down who said that and when.
    Hi Ernest,
    Thank you for your reply.
    I expect he would have moved around, as did my father.
    Yes need to find out who said he was shot down. I hope to clarify that in the next few days when my friend rings her sister.
    Cheers
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Firstly, I made some errors on my last post – I read the wrong column for the house number at Commercial Road, they should all have read No. 219

I had a few spare credits on Scotlands People so had a quick look at the 1946 death of Francis McDevitt, which seems to confirm some of the assumptions I’d already made:

Francis McDevitt, Electric Craneman, Married to Mary Carey
    Died 6 Jan 1946 at 219 Commercial Road, Glasgow, aged 61
    Parents: Bernard McDevitt, Locomotion Works Labourer (Deceased) & Bridget nee Ly??en (Deceased)
    Cause: Influenza Bronchitis 14 days, Myocardial Failure 1 day
    Informant: Hugh McDevitt, Son, Present.

Francis McDevitt m Mary Carey in 1905, Hutchesontown RD

I assume that these are the others on the electoral roll:
    MCDEVITT, HUGH 1921 Ref: 644/15 1231 Hutchesontown
    MCDEVITT, JENNIE STEELE 1924 Ref 644/15 32 Hutchesontown
    MCDEVITT, ISABELLA 1926 644/15 42 Hutchesontown

Hugh wasn’t there in 1945 but was for the 1947 electoral roll (and the 1946 death), which would tie up with him being in the military during WW2.

it doesn't necessarily make him 'your' Hugh but perhaps gets you a little bit closer, even if it just helps rule him out.
    Hi Jomo,
    Thank you again for your help.
    I can now eliminate the Hugh McDevitt born 1921 in Hutchsontown, and the one going to Canada 1952.
    I found someone on Ancestry tracing a Hugh McDevitt born 1921 Hutchsontown, Glasgow.
    She is in fact this Hugh's daughter and lives in Canada. Strangely he was also in the RAF and named his daughter Carol. My friends sister who still lives in England is also Carol.
    My next step is to see if the Hugh McDevitt on the 1939 is in fact the one I am looking for.
    He would have been 41 when he joined up. He was living in Hertfordshire occupation a hotel worker.
    I will see if I can find anything further on this chap.
    Cheers
    Sue

Hi Jomo,
    I can now eliminate the Hugh McDevitt born 1921 in Hutchsontown, and the one going to Canada 1952 [.....] Strangely he was also in the RAF
    Just to clarify, the one gong to Canada IS the one born 1921. However, I'm intrigued by your comment that the one in Canada was also in the RAF, as I'd already checked the AIR78 records on the National Archives and could find only one Hugh McDevitt serving in the RAF 1918-1975, and he's the one with Service No. 1004548 - see image 1592 of 2128 in the Preview link: https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/C4005839

Has your friend ruled out the Canadian connection through DNA? If not, then is there some other absolute evidence ruling him out as a possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Just to clarify, the one gong to Canada IS the one born 1921. However, I'm intrigued by your comment that the one in Canada was also in the RAF, as I'd already checked the AIR78 records on the National Archives and could find only one Hugh McDevitt serving in the RAF 1918-1975, and he's the one with Service No. 1004548 - see image 1592 of 2128 in the Preview link: https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/C4005839

Has your friend ruled out the Canadian connection through DNA? If not, then is there some other absolute evidence ruling him out as a possibility?
    Hi Jomo
    I think you and I might thinking the same thing. I did mention to the contact that the Hugh I am looking for signed on in Padgate.
    She told me her father Hugh signed on in Scotland then went and told his family what he had done.
    She also mentioned that her and her father visited the bases where he was stationed she never mentioned Padgate.
    I don't know if my friend who's name by the way is Olive, (easier to type her name) has thought about DNA. I agree it could be worth her trying.
    I will have a chat with her about DNA. One thing we have to remember is Olive in her late 70's and in the first stages of Alzheimer's though at the moment she is doing well.
    I would love to try and find out about her father before it's to late.
    Cheers
    Sue

Hi Jomo
    I think you and I might thinking the same thing. I did mention to the contact that the Hugh I am looking for signed on in Padgate.
    She told me her father Hugh signed on in Scotland then went and told his family what he had done.
    She also mentioned that her and her father visited the bases where he was stationed she never mentioned Padgate.
    I don't know if my friend who's name by the way is Olive, (easier to type her name) has thought about DNA. I agree it could be worth her trying.
    I will have a chat with her about DNA. One thing we have to remember is Olive in her late 70's and in the first stages of Alzheimer's though at the moment she is doing well.
    I would love to try and find out about her father before it's to late.
    Cheers
    Sue
    Just to confirm. That the contact in Canada confirmed that the Hugh born Scotland 1921 and the one going to Canada 1952 are the same person and is her father.

Hi Jomo
    I think the reference to Padgate on the FWR site may be something of a red herring. Bear in mind that they don't have sight of any original service records but are simply using the limited information that can be found online, including the slips from AIR78 that I posted the link to earlier.

Like the Army, the RAF had 'block allocations' of service numbers, and No's 965000 to 1149977 were allocated to Padgate in September 1939, ie at the beginning of WW2. This doesn't mean he was sent to Padgate for training, although I believe that the Air Crew Selection Board was there, so it's likely where he will have undergone his medical and various selection interviews.

My understanding is that a man would register at his local recruiting office, then undergo the selection process, after which he would generally be placed on Reserve awaiting his call-up instructions. Some were called up almost immediately, although for those in reserved occupations the RAF had to apply to the Ministry of Labour for their release. On 'call up' they would then be sent to an Air Crew Reception Centre, which wouldn't necessarily be Padgate.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast