Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Without wishing to be picky,we didn't need 'more information' - just dataset Glamorgan, Wales, Workhouse Registers, 1850-1920 on Ancestry.

Did you note the title and the column headings at the top of the page? Outdoor relief meant that the applicant was given funds to remain at home.
    I don't know how much you know about the Poor Laws, but a couple of helpful pages. (Ignore the bits which refer specifically to Lincolnshire.)
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LIN#Poor
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LIN/poorhouse

Going back to the entry/entries on Ancestry, in the bottom middle of the image page you see something something like 126 of 780, followed by the word 'go'. Change the first number to 1, then press go. This will take you to the first image. It will probably just be the cover of the book, but keep clicking the forward arrow on the right-hand side of the page, until you come to the first printed pages. They will give you a lot more information about the workhouse, and in one of the books I found a fascinating page about the food allowance for each inmate, and how the food was to be prepared, as well as a list of regulations about out-door relief.

There are usually several books in each block of images, each covering a half year, so you can be precise as to which half year is referred to in John's entry of 1872-1876.
    Thanks will take alook! I put John Cronin in the search for Glamorgan workhouses and about 50 odd entries appeared! Must have been really down on his luck and ill too!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

You do realise that not all the John Cronins in that list are yours, don't you? (One I looked at lived in Barry.)
    That's why it's important that you get the correct half-year book.

As an example, say your John is on page 460 of 750.
    Go to page 1 of the 750, and then move forward until you come to the actual pages of the book in that block of years, and you'll probably find an index. The one I saw said the book had 108 pages.
    That means that the next half-year book begins approximately 108 pages further on. So if you're on page 10 of 750 you need to change the 10 to 118 and press go. You will no doubt have to move forward or back a couple of pages but it's not as laborious as forwarding 108 pages one at a time!
    Do the same thing with the new book (noting the half-year it refers to), then, once again, when you've looked at the book index and know how many pages there are in the book, add that number to the number at the bottom of the page, and press go, again.
    Keep repeating.

Hope that makes sense.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    You do realise that not all the John Cronins in that list are yours, don't you? (One I looked at lived in Barry.)
    That's why it's important that you get the correct half-year book.

As an example, say your John is on page 460 of 750.
    Go to page 1 of the 750, and then move forward until you come to the actual pages of the book in that block of years, and you'll probably find an index. The one I saw said the book had 108 pages.
    That means that the next half-year book begins approximately 108 pages further on. So if you're on page 10 of 750 you need to change the 10 to 118 and press go. You will no doubt have to move forward or back a couple of pages but it's not as laborious as forwarding 108 pages one at a time!
    Do the same thing with the new book (noting the half-year it refers to), then, once again, when you've looked at the book index and know how many pages there are in the book, add that number to the number at the bottom of the page, and press go, again.
    Keep repeating.

Hope that makes sense.

Pam
    Thanks Pam

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456