Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Harold Charles Mann

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me understand some (probably quite basic) information about WWII and my grandad who served in WWII.

My grandad was called Harold Charles Mann and was born 18 May 1916 in Leyton. He served in Indian during WWII. I have a picture of him with a paratrooper badge but also have the west riding badge (which I believe is the Duke of Wellington Regiment?). However, it doesn’t seem that the West Riding Regiment had a paratrooping unit. How would I find this out?

I have his colour bars also - is there a website I can visit to see what each of them mean?

Thanks in advance

People did sometimes change regiments. Do you have any service numbers?

I think that what you call the colour bar is the bar worn on working uniforms which shows any medals he had with snippets of medal ribbon. Any of the WW2 medal sites should show the ribbons.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you. The number is 1689776 Gunner and says 368 Ind H.A.A Battery - not sure what this means?

368 Heavy Anti Aircraft
    Have a look at this Wikipedia page HERE.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

HIs service number is the range - Royal Artillery (Field, Coastal & Anti-Aircraft) 721001 - 1842000 and 11000001 - 11500000, so he enlisted in the Royal Artillery.
    Make sure you recognise the difference between battery and regiment when researching!
    You should be able to work out his medals from the MOD medal site - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/medals-c...d-war-2-medals

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Reputation beyond repute

FMP has him listed in the Royal Artillery attestations. It's annotated "7/3/45 to D.W.R" (ie The Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding))