Default Help tracing a birth in Germany?

Can anyone offer help in tracing a birth in Germany? I know the name of the child. I know the date of birth, 29 Jul 1956. I know the birthplace, Hannover, Lower Saxony, Germany and I know the father’s name, but I cannot find the mother’s name. I know that the father married 6 years earlier and I know the bride's name, but I do not know whether she is the mother. Anyone suggest where I might search?
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 22-09-2021 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Names of possible living people removed in accordance with our T&Cs.

If you don’t get anything useful here, there’s a site called Cyndi’s list HERE that shows lots of sites on different areas.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello McLellan,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I've removed the names of the people you gave in your post because they may be living, and our T&Cs forbid naming living people.

The father appears to be a British citizen, and married in the UK.
    Findmypast have two entries for the birth. Both under the main heading of British Armed Forces Overseas Births and Baptisms.
    One in Index to Consular births 1955-1960, with a reference of consulate Hanover, volume 50 page 1323.
    The other is headed Service Department Returns 1956-1960, with a reference of station, Hannover 1956 page (2) 257
    Note the different spellings of Hanover/Hannover, and make you you spell it correctly if you apply for a copy of the birth certificate.
    Whether the layout of the certificate differs I don't know, but the information on both should be the same.
    For more precise details you will need to contact the GRO, from whom you can order a copy of the birth certificate.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks Lesley and Pam, I'll follow up that information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    If you don’t get anything useful here, there’s a site called Cyndi’s list that shows lots of sites on different areas.
    My apologies, Lesley. I forgot to note that I'd removed the names of possible living people in McLellan's post until I'd started typing my reply.

Thanks, found the record on Find My Past, unfortunately it still doesn't confirm the mother's name, guess I'll just have to assume it's her father's wife.

No problem Pam. I was on my phone and at work, so I didn't notice! That's why I had to wait until I came home to add Cyndi's URL.

Quote Originally Posted by McLellan View Post
    Thanks, found the record on Find My Past, unfortunately it still doesn't confirm the mother's name, guess I'll just have to assume it's her father's wife.
    If you want to know that desperately then you can order a copy of the birth certificate.
    You soon learn the hard way that the 'hobby' of genealogy is not the cheapest you could have chosen. (Though thanks to companies such as FMP saving you having to visit local record offices far from where you live, it is much cheaper nowadays.)