Default Abbreviation in margin of Baptism Register

Hello,

I'm wondering if someone is able to decipher the sign and initials that are written in the margin of a Baptism Register and know what they mean??

Found on the Ancestry site, a Baptism of Sarah Elizabeth WHITE on October 14 1874 at St. Gabriel Church, Bromley
    Fathers name William WINGFIELD crossed out, mothers name Elizabeth still there, surname WHITE is mothers maiden name and in Occupation column mother is 'Single Woman' address is given as: 3 Fullers Cottage, Cotton Street.

I am familiar with the mother and the address but not the name of the father!!

I'd be grateful for any help given.
    TIA
    Amora2

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Amora2 View Post
    Hello,

I'm wondering if someone is able to decipher the sign and initials that are written in the margin of a Baptism Register and know what they mean??

Found on the Ancestry site, a Baptism of Sarah Elizabeth WHITE on October 14 1874 at St. Gabriel Church, Bromley
    Fathers name William WINGFIELD crossed out, mothers name Elizabeth still there, surname WHITE is mothers maiden name and in Occupation column mother is 'Single Woman' address is given as: 3 Fullers Cottage, Cotton Street.

I am familiar with the mother and the address but not the name of the father!!

I'd be grateful for any help given.
    TIA
    Amora2
    I think the initials are GB - George Barnes the person who performed the ceremony. Looks like the cross is the same as the cross against the crossed out William Wingfield, so maybe it just means "refer to it".

Ive just been looking at the image and realised the letters in the margin are the initials of the performing vicar - but still interested to know what the sign means??

Suemalings, thanks for your reply - and of course, that makes perfect sense. I was reading too much into the sign.

Reputation beyond repute

the sign and initials
    The "sign" is an asterisk!

It's confirming that George Barnes personally deleted the father's name.

Many thanks for your input Peter, nothing sinister to worry about then!! Other than the fact that the mother was supposed to be a married woman!! ..... and I'm unable to find a birth index for the child being baptised with no birth date given, so Sarah Elizabeth could have been born within the previous 10+ yrs ..... ah, the intrigue, looks like thinking caps on again.