Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Default Paulville Cottages, Bathgate

Hello folks,

In January 1924 Mrs C RYAN and Miss N R Ryan left a ship at Southampton, and stated their destination was 98 Paulville Cottages, Bathgate, SCT.

I would like to know who was living at this address in 1924. I have been attempting to find this address in a directory, but I am not sure what directory I should be looking for. I understand Bathgate to be in West Lothian, but the Forums for Scotland do not appear to have a West Lothian, which is why I selected the Edinburgh Forum for my query.

I can access directories through FMP, but I am stumbling around because I don't understand the geography. Can someone please point me at the right place to look, please? The name of a directory, or some other resource that can be searched by address would help enormously.

With thanks

Lenore
    Victoria, Australia

Checking newspapers on line I cannot find any reference to "Paulville Cottages". There are, however, plenty of references to "Paulville Rows" which, I suspect, are the six "blocks" at south east corner of this 1913 map
    https://maps.nls.uk/view/75652121

I think these may be the cottages referred to.

I haven't checked what's available on line at FMP. I normally go to Scottish Post Office Directories but they only go up to 1912.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

A fountain of knowledge

Thank you helachau. Could there be any less salubrious spot for the establishment of a large number of dwellings than this? Next to the cemetery, steelworks and railway lines? But perhaps a park and the zoological gardens were just to the south over the Boghead Bridge. (Probably not.)

Thank you so much for the link to the map, I find it very interesting, of course. And yes I have been to the Scottish Post Office Directories and found they don't go far enough. I guess it will be a matter of waiting for the 1921 Census to turn up. The FMP online directories were exceptionally unclear about what edition I was looking at - but it didn't help anyway. Couldn't find the address.

Thank you for looking for me, I do appreciate it.

Best wishes,

Lenore

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Two places I'd look for an address - the 1911 census for Scotland (check Scotlands People for a directory), and the Ordinance Survey maps to be found on the National Library of Scotland site.
    Thanks, Lesley. I don't have ready access to the 1911 Census (not included in Ancestry) and I am looking for a date in 1924 anyway. If I have to pay for access, I'll wait for the 1921 Census to raise it's head above the parapet which is closer to my date. I've just looked at the indexes at Scotlands People, and I am back at my original problem of not knowing where to look for Paulville Cottages, Bathgate. The Ordinance map I looked at doesn't name a street that runs past them. Neither Paulville or Bathgate appears in the index. There is no index for Linlithgow, nor West Lothian, and after that has proved no use to me, I don't know where else to look.

So my original conundrum is, where do I find Bathgate in either a directory OR a census, seeing I don't understand local naming conventions? Is it included in Edinburgh?

Best wishes,

Lenore

Knowledgeable and helpful

Possible images of Paulville Cottages:

Britainfromabove has some aerial shots of Balbardie Steelworks, some of which depict the six blocks found by helachau. They seem to be terraced houses (single storey?) with different configurations. Perhaps they were built to house either the construction workers employed in building the steelworks which opened in 1907, or the steelworks employees.

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/SPW027152

The steelworks site is now partly occupied by a supermarket and the ‘cottages’ by Bathgate Primary Care Centre.

Some current OS maps still show Paulville as the locality.

West Lothian was Linlithgowshire until 1921.

Peter

A fountain of knowledge

Thank you, Peter, the photos make it clearer that the street address of the Paulville Cottages, or Rows, was Whitburn Road. I can see now that the road went under the railway bridge, which is not so plain on the map.

The mystery to me, about West Lothian, from someone sitting a long, long way from Bathgate, is why West Lothan doesn't appear in the BG Forums as a County Forum? And what County I should be looking for in directories? I like nice clear hierarchies. Is West Lothian subsumed in Edinburgh? Or Midlothan? Or something else?

The pictures are terrific, thanks for the link to those.

Best wishes,

Lenore

I went into the NLS OS maps collection (which they have now "improved" with zoom and search) and after tryying to browse the map, gave and fed the search box the word Paulville. It immediately came up on the Whitburn Rd (B7002) on the south edge of Bathgate. The railway runs parallel, which fits with #2. This is the OS 6 inch map, a 1 inch should carry the building names... See here for the map I found (hopefully)

PS the zoomable 1 inch doesn't help.
    PPS The only 25 inch I can find (for 1856) shows open land where I think the houses should be (above Little Boghead). Here's the 1892-1949 - houses, but no names.

Famous for offering help & advice

This may be a red herring!

Thinking that Mrs C Ryan may be returning from abroad to her parents' home, I looked for a marriage of a Ryan in West Lothian. In 1922 there was a marriage in Bathgate of Catherine Lamb Park and Ernest Francis Ryan. Catherine and her family can be found in Bathgate in the 1911 census available on Scotland's People.You need to register and buy a few credits to view.
    Of course this Catherine may not be your Mrs C Ryan!

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    This may be a red herring!

Thinking that Mrs C Ryan may be returning from abroad to her parents' home, I looked for a marriage of a Ryan in West Lothian. In 1922 there was a marriage in Bathgate of Catherine Lamb Park and Ernest Francis Ryan. Catherine and her family can be found in Bathgate in the 1911 census available on Scotland's People.You need to register and buy a few credits to view.
    Of course this Catherine may not be your Mrs C Ryan!
    Sorry I am probably wrong. Catherine Lamb Ryan died in West Lothian in 1992.

A fountain of knowledge

Thank you Lesley and Grisel for your help. I am probably following a red herring myself. I am trying to figure out how an ex-nuptial baby got from Cootamudra in New South Wales to Edinburgh. There was a Ryan associated with the birth, potentially the father, but the child was brought up in Edinburgh by another family. While looking for Mr J Ryan in the passenger indexes I stumbled over this child travelling with Mrs C Ryan whose initials were the same as the baby born in Cootamundra - J N. When the destination of Mrs C Ryan and Miss J N Ryan was shown as Edinburgh, I got to wondering if this was the baby I am chasing. And who was living at that address.

Mrs C Ryan could well be a Miss C Ryan who would call herself Mrs so as not to look like a single woman with a child. I don't know who Mrs/Miss C Ryan is, but I am mighty interested in who lived at 98 Paulville Cottages in 1924. It is highly likely no-one of use to me, but everything is worth looking into in the absence of any other leads.

So if anyone knows of any directory which would list 98 Paulville Cottages Whitburn Rd, Bathgate, please tell me where.

Best wishes,

Lenore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast