Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Famous for offering help & advice

Probably not relevant, but in 1861 Sarah appears to be in Poplar – RG9/306/119/26.

Sarah Spicer 53 Widow b Surrey
    Edward McPherson 7 Visitor (crossed out) Boarder b Limehouse

MCPHERSON, EDWARD HARPER CLARENCE mmn MCKENZIE GRO Reference: 1853 M Quarter in STEPNEY Volume 01C Page 526

Edward’s parents are John (a Cooper) and Isabella, and he later goes on to be a Master Mariner and a Freemason.

I'm struggling to find her after that :/

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Maia View Post
    The source for Ann was a 'potential mother' tip from Ancestry that just popped up the other day. I accepted it but probably shouldn't have just yet. Your post #26, I overlooked that John Spicer 1821's mother was Sarah. I may be confused but if John 1821's mother was Sarah born in 1808, wouldn't that mean she was extremely young when she had John?? Or maybe her age listing is incorrect, incorrectly listed at 43 instead of 53?
    In the 1851 census Sarah, his mother is age 43 and John is 25 so Sarah would have been around 18 when he was born.
    In your first post on this thread you said that John was born c1821. How did you arrive at this birth year?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Sorry I must have missed it, but how do we know that John's father was a Poultry Dealer? On the copy of the marriage I'm looking at it just says 'Dead'
    I can't find the record that said 'poultry dealer' for John Spicer father of John born 1825, so goodness knows where I saw/think I saw that!
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    In the 1851 census Sarah, his mother is age 43 and John is 25 so Sarah would have been around 18 when he was born.
    In your first post on this thread you said that John was born c1821. How did you arrive at this birth year?
    Christina
    I tried searching to see where I got that from, and unfortunately I think I got it from my incorrect assumption about the other John and Sarah/Jane (the ones with the two kids Eliza and George). I removed them from my tree, but I think I picked up his 1821 date of birth from the 'wrong' John. Sorry about that and for confusion. That's what was throwing me off on possible age of his mother Sarah giving birth also. I tried to clean that up in my tree!

Starting to feel at home

I can't find the record that said 'poultry dealer' for John Spicer father of John born 1825, so goodness knows where I saw/think I saw that!
    Christina
    LOL, I was searching to see where 'poultry dealer' came from also!

Jomot1 -That leads us to the marriage in Shoreditch in 1827 between John Spicer & Sarah Young
    This looks very good as the parents of John born 1825.

Some trees on ancestry have the above marriage for a John Spicer born and living in Essex. After looking at the 1851 census for this John and his wife Sarah and the birth registrations for the two sons Joseph and Henry which gave the mmn Hall I came to the conclusion that they have the wrong marriage and should be looking at the one in Essex for John Spicer and Sarah Hall. I did message the owners of two of the trees giving the sources and transcriptions but whether they follow through on it..? Anyway I think Jomot's find is 'our' John and Sarah.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post

That leads us to the marriage in Shoreditch in 1827 between John Spicer & Sarah Young

ADDED: Precise DoB given as 2 Aug 1825, so was he born before marriage?
    I was wondering the same, he was born before marriage? Was that common then or no?

Starting to feel at home

This looks very good as the parents of John born 1825.

Some trees on ancestry have the above marriage for a John Spicer born and living in Essex. After looking at the 1851 census for this John and his wife Sarah and the birth registrations for the two sons Joseph and Henry which gave the mmn Hall I came to the conclusion that they have the wrong marriage and should be looking at the one in Essex for John Spicer and Sarah Hall. I did message the owners of two of the trees giving the sources and transcriptions but whether they follow through on it..? Anyway I think Jomot's find is 'our' John and Sarah.
    Christina
    So many Johns and Sarahs! I’m glad you messaged the owners of trees, hopefully they will look into it and revise.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Maia View Post
    I was wondering the same, he was born before marriage? Was that common then or no?
    It was quite common. I can't find any other definite children to the John & Sarah married 1827 though, so its very difficult to follow them. There is a John & Sarah Spicer in Earl Street East, St Marylebone in 1841 but I've no idea if its the right couple as there are anomalies. Ages should have been rounded down to the nearest 5, so its certainly a possibility.

John Spicer 31 Groom - Not born in County
    Sarah Spicer 30 - Born in County

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567