Thread: Hi From Devon

Default Hi From Devon

Hi
    Iam researching my Grandmothers family (Oakley) and have a hit a brickwall with her Grandfather William Oakley b1834-d1898 (he's parents) hoping someone on here can point me in the right direction

cheers Jeff

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Jeff,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

The 1851 census shows quite a few William Oakleys born 1834 +/- 1 year, and there's three possibles dying in 1898 (all in the London area) so we need a little more information from you.

How did you get back to William? What was your grandmother's name, where and when was she born; who were her parents; have you found them on the various census, and where were they living?
    Ditto re details for your grandmother's father, in order to connect him to William born 1834.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

My Grandmothers Father was one of 10 children of William, William Oakley was possibly born in Gibraltar in 1834 (in his obit) or Cork in his Army Papers. he joined the army(70th Foot, no 2453) at Templemore, Ireland on the 12th July 184, Under age (13/14yo) and reached 18? on the same date in 1851(the 70th Foot was in India by then.

I did find A Birth for a William OCKLEY in Gibraltar in 1834 (father James was a lance-Corp in the 70th Foot) the 70th Foot go to Malta then to West Indies, and then nothing (many died in the West Indies of course)

William becomes a Band Sergeant & goes to New Zealand (Maori Wars)
    (and is mention in the New Zealand Newspapers twice!)and dies in 1898 in Kingston upon Thames.

I think James Ockley may be a red herring? on his wedding Cert he names hes Father as William Oakley (lines I have looked down is that hes father was a vicar/missionary as William was a band master for a Temperance Band!) may need to go Nat Archives to see the Muster rolls???