Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Cool Hello: I have been working on my family tree

Hello: I have been working on my paternal family tree for 30 years and have the records back 2000 years. I am now working on my maternal tree and have encountered real difficulties on entering the 18th century with my great, great maternal grandfather. I am unable to locate any records of his birth -- which is very unusual. What I suspact is that he was raised in an orphanage and that the records were lost in a fire in the late 1700's. He became an Able Seaman and had entered the RN, probably at Jarrow, England, as an apprentice seaman. I know the names of both of his wives and their children and when and where he died. What I don't know are the names of his mother and father -- or his original name. If he had been in an orphanage as a child he would have received a baptism and a new set of names.

Hi Barry and welcome to the Brit-Gen forums

To get some help from our keen sleuths we need you give us some names and dates of the people you mentioned in your post.(wives and children)
    Normally we would ask you to choose a suitable forum and post there but as you have have given us a lot of info in this thread you could just reply here and and then one of the Mods can move the whole thread to a suitable forum eg: Brickwalls.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Reputation beyond repute

have the records back 2000 years.
    Is that so?