Default Swedish genealogy research leads to Scotland

Hi,
    I started my search for ancestors in 2004, from 2018 I have expanded my search to include my fiancé's family as well. One side of his family carries the surname Paterson. At first, I thought it was simple misspelling of either Pettersson or Petersson, two common Swedish surnames. But Paterson's forename was clearly not Swedish, John, Andrew, Elisabeth, Mary the names hasn't changed in Swedish church record. I'm looking for the origins of John Paterson born 1758-07-20 in Scotland. He was married to Jenny Christina Fichett (or Fichet born 1767-04-13 in England. Both travelled and settled down in Vargo Island, just outside Gothenburg Sweden. John has some connection to trading ships since he worked in trade business in Sweden. I hope to get some help along the way in this forum.

Super Moderator

Do you have a marriage date? I found a marriage for James Paterson 14 Dec 1784 which may be a little early but no spouse name. Also found baptism of two boys in Sweden - Andreas and Daniel. Are these yours?

Super Moderator

Sorry ignore the marriage I found as it was for James not John!. However the two parents named at the two baptisms were John and Christina.

I have noted a marriage year in 1785. His first wife Jenny died on 22 november in 1797 in Styrsö, Sweden. One alternative origin could also be Aberdeen in Scotland, but I have no sources to that fact. John's family tree (Swedish branch) can be found here: https://www.myheritage.se/person-100...oreFromPhone=1
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 06-09-2021 at 7:23 PM. Reason: URL broken according to our T&C copy/paste to use

Scotlands People has 17 John Paterson/Pattersons born in Scotland in 1758. There's one on 23 Jul 1758. Of course if he was born in late July, his baptism might have been recorded in August, and it's often the baptisms that are recorded. Where does that birthdate come from?

PS Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. You may find useful ideas about places to look, and how scottish genealogy works, in the general messages "stuck" at the top of the Scottish forum HERE

Thanks for all help, I will browse this forum and learn more how scottish genealogy works.