Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Red face Researching Marott

Hi everyone,have been researching the name Marott(my fathers surname,before he changed it)Any help would be appreciated.Stay safe all!Cheers Ron

Hi Ron and welcome to the Brit-Gen forums
    First of all I have given your post a thread of its own and given it the title "Researching Marrot" in the brickwalls forum.
    Now all we need for you to help us is all the information you have regarding your father's origins, birth date and place, parent's names, siblings. Anything at all that you do know so our sleuths can get cracking
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thankyou for that(spelling by the way is:Marott)I have already done a lot of research on Ancestry,but are looking for more info,media etc..I have gone as far back as my great grandfather,Frederick William Marott,1856-1933,Son:Frederick William Marott:1886-1952,Son(my father) Frederick Sidney Ernest Marott(Ramsey)Many thanks.Ron.

Brick wall demolition expert!

There are two potential birth registrations:

Frederick Marott 1856 Romford, Essex – Qtr 1 Vol 4a Page 96 – mother’s maiden name Mitcham
    Frederick Marriott 1856 Ongar, Essex Qtr 1 1856 Vol 4a Page 67 – mother’s maiden name Shipton

Frederick Marott appears in the 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses in Barking, Romford.
    Frederick Marriott appears in various censuses including the 1861 one where he was living with his parents Charles and Elizabeth in Romford Essex.

I cannot see any marriage between a Marott and a Mitcham.
    In 1855 Charles Marriott married Elizabeth Shipton in Onga.
    In 1847 a Frederick Brown Marott married in Poplar, London. You would need the marriage certificate to identify his wife. Of the 6 options offered none have the surname Mitcham, however, if she had been married before the marriage would have registered under her married name.

Frederick William Marott birth registration: 1886 Qtr 2 Romford Vol 4a Page 336. His mother’s maiden name was Spriggs. Frederick William Marott married Charlotte Eunice Spriggs in 1886 Qtr 1 Vol 1a Page 623 in the registration district, St. George, Hanover Square (London).

I don’t know if you have any of the birth, death or marriage certificates, but if not you should do so as they contain valuable information. You can purchase them on line at General Register Office (GRO) - Official information on births, marriages, civil partnerships and deaths. It is possible to purchase PDF versions of the birth and death certificates which are cheaper and are sent electronically.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Frederick William Marott(2/3/1856(Barking Essex)D:1933 Romford Essex.He married Charlotte Eunice Spriggs.My grandfather(his son) Frederick William Marott is my paternal grandfather.What I am after is any media(photo’s etc..if they exist,long shot I know!Cheers.Ron(Many thanks btw.)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I do have a birth certificate for his son(Frederick William Marott (b:1886)Thx,Ron.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by hackneycab2 View Post
    Thankyou for that(spelling by the way is:Marott)I have already done a lot of research on Ancestry,but are looking for more info,media etc..I have gone as far back as my great grandfather,Frederick William Marott,1856-1933,Son:Frederick William Marott:1886-1952,Son(my father) Frederick Sidney Ernest Marott(Ramsey)Many thanks.Ron.
    As Megan has proved, there's some missing information which we really need in order to help you go further back.
    Firstly, do you have a copy of the Frederick William's born 1856 birth certificate? I'm presuming he was the one who Magan identified as being born in Romford registration district.
    https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/romford.html
    If you don't have a copy, then you need to order one from the GRO.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c.../login.asptell us where

Also, have you found Frederick-william-birth-registered-1856 on any census, and if so can you tell us where? Census references would be a great help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    There are two potential birth registrations:

Frederick Marott 1856 Romford, Essex – Qtr 1 Vol 4a Page 96 – mother’s maiden name Mitcham
    Frederick Marriott 1856 Ongar, Essex Qtr 1 1856 Vol 4a Page 67 – mother’s maiden name Shipton

Frederick Marott appears in the 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses in Barking, Romford.
    Frederick Marriott appears in various censuses including the 1861 one where he was living with his parents Charles and Elizabeth in Romford Essex.

I cannot see any marriage between a Marott and a Mitcham.
    In 1855 Charles Marriott married Elizabeth Shipton in Onga.
    In 1847 a Frederick Brown Marott married in Poplar, London. You would need the marriage certificate to identify his wife. Of the 6 options offered none have the surname Mitcham, however, if she had been married before the marriage would have registered under her married name.

Frederick William Marott birth registration: 1886 Qtr 2 Romford Vol 4a Page 336. His mother’s maiden name was Spriggs. Frederick William Marott married Charlotte Eunice Spriggs in 1886 Qtr 1 Vol 1a Page 623 in the registration district, St. George, Hanover Square (London).

I don’t know if you have any of the birth, death or marriage certificates, but if not you should do so as they contain valuable information. You can purchase them on line at General Register Office (GRO) - Official information on births, marriages, civil partnerships and deaths. It is possible to purchase PDF versions of the birth and death certificates which are cheaper and are sent electronically.
    Re the bit in bold -
    Frederick Brown Marott married Mary Nuth at St Mary, Stratford, Bow, and a copy of the marriage entry in the parish register is available on Ancestry in their All London, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1936 dataset.
    Frederick was a blacksmith and a bachelor; Mary was a spinster.
    Currently can't find them in the 1851 census, but in 1861 they're living in Limehouse. Census reference RG9/288 folio 47 page 57.
    Frederick 41, born Limehouse; Mary 53 born Deptford; Louisa, daughter, 7, born Poplar; plus a visitor and a lodger.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

Did you see the marraige cert image of Frederick William Marott - Mariner & Charlotte Eunice Spriggs? Available to view on Ancestry.

He names his father as Adolphus James Marott - Mariner

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by hackneycab2 View Post
    Frederick William Marott(2/3/1856(Barking Essex)D:1933 Romford Essex.He married Charlotte Eunice Spriggs.My grandfather(his son) Frederick William Marott is my paternal grandfather.What I am after is any media(photo’s etc..if they exist,long shot I know!Cheers.Ron(Many thanks btw.)
    By 'media' do you mean anything other than the usual census records and BMD certificates?
    If so, try the British Newspaper Archive. https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/
    Other sources are the Probate Register https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills and school registers. Though I doubt if you'll find any photos in the latter two.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Yes,I have seen that,have also got a copy of his (Frederick William Marott) birth certificate(extract).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast