Valued member of Brit-Gen barbara lee's Avatar

Default Scanning graveyards

Spotted this in the Guardian yesterday. Anyone know any more about it?
    https://www.theguardian {dot} com/wo...-mapped-online
    Barbara

Note from Mod - copy/paste and edit {dot} for a .

Thank you. I was just reading the brief announcement on the BBC site.
    Since the Guardian is a commercial site, I'll break the url for you. but it's worth the small trouble of copy/pasting it.

Sadly it's only English graves, so I'll cancel plans to offer them the burial ground pix on my OPS site, but it's a good move forward.

Famous for offering help & advice

There's been a pilot project at a couple of churchyards in Yorkshire. The following page gives more details and has links to what they've produced for each of them:

https://www.leeds.anglican.org/news/...fully-launched

Super Moderator

Before moving to this address I lived in a village and became very interested in the general history. A local group (about 10 miles away) drew up a plan of the graveyard and transcribed the inscriptions on the stones that were still readable. I had a copy of both the CofE graveyard and also the chapel graveyard at the other end of the village. I transcribed the church registers (which were still in the church when I lived there) from the 1600's to the present. All very interesting and before the internet so lots of notes and paper!!

Super Moderator

Just remembered being told that the idea was to draw up a plan and transcribe the gravestones on as many churches in Cambridgeshire as possible. Not sure how far it went though.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    There's been a pilot project at a couple of churchyards in Yorkshire. The following page gives more details and has links to what they've produced for each of them:

https://www.leeds.anglican.org/news/...fully-launched
    All I can say to that - WOW!

In the meantime, don't forget that many Family History Societies have transcribed the memorials in churchyards (Lincolnshire have also done some of the cemeteries as well, and the transcripts of Boston cemetery were my best-ever buy!), as well as transcribing burial registers. There's also FreeREG; Online Parish Register Clerks notably for Cornwall and Lancashire; Find-a-Grave; Billion Graves; gravestonephotos; and no doubt others I've forgotten.

You also have to remember that from the mid-1800s onwards, especially in the larger towns, people were buried in cemeteries. For those, you need sites such as Find-a-grave; Billion Graves; Deceased Online; and again, try the local Family History Society publications. Sometimes you will be amazed what you can find by 'investing' a tenner in a CD.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Our local family history society is currently transcribing all the local graveyards in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. They've been looking for volunteers. I've done a couple but it is heartbreaking to see how many graves there are which are partially unreadable at the moment and no doubt will be totally unreadable before long. The site is dgfhs.org.uk

I photographed the burial grounds for my One Place Study (Whitsome & Hilton, BEW) in the 1990s and early 2000s, and it’s all on my website. A member of the FB group for the area was up there recently, and it’s heart-breaking to see how the site has deteriorated.

Knowledgeable and helpful

There is also a further church,that I know of involved and I presume others.

All Saints, Thelwall, Warrington, Cheshire
    https://thelwall.burialgrounds.co.uk/mapmanagement/#/

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.